Favorite Shot!

Tikkamike

I want to hear some stories weither they were luck or skill as long as they are true! Here is mine.

Not my longest shot but it was pretty good I think. I was driving down the road in a 2 ton gmc topkick (4wd its pretty bad ***) and it ran across the road in front of me. Thankfully I live in wyoming where its not uncommon to have the road to your self. I screached to a stop in the oncoming lane with my model 70 270 wsm hanging out the window. I didnt have a way to get a rest so I was forced to shoot off hand. I led him by about a half a body length and squeezed as he ran through the sage brush at full speed. First shot rolled him end over end. I re parked the truck and got over there. He was still alive I had hit him in the tail bone with a 140 accubond and he was basically pinned down. so I put another in him. I ranged back to the truck and it was just over 250 yards. I drive by that spot every friday and always hope to see another but havent yet in that spot.
0403090917a.jpg

I'll give you two because dependant upon the day, it's hard for me to decide....LOL

1) On a caribou hunt in Northern Quebec, the first caribou of the day that my dad and I spotted were following the edge of lake moving from our left to right on a trot as caribou do. We had about a 15 mph wind blowing from right to left just to mix things up for us. As I tracked the caribou, dad was calling range and spotting for me. I was prone on a rock outcropping resting my 7Mag over my pack. I was shooting 154g SST's at 3120fps. At 335 yards still trotting, I had a 1.25 mil hold with only a 1 mil lead due to the opposing crosswind. At the shot, the bull dropped. The bullet fell right where I wanted it too but in all honesty, with the opposing wind and moving animal there was some luck involved.

2) 2 years ago, I made my longest 1st shot kill with my 6.5x284. We had 2 whitetail does on the facing mountain, ranged at 1100 yards even with my dad's Leica Geovids. We had a 5.4 mph wind blowing left to right coming down the valley, but we could tell the wind was blowing opposite on the other mountain. I cut the MOA required by a third for the wind and proceeded to place the little 140g Berger right in the center of her ribs. She ran down the hill about 40 yards and fell over.

We were scouting deer early this summer. On top of our mountain there are some very large flats and meadows called Midway. They are long and wide surrounded with pines and quakies. The first trip was on a Thursday. While stopping off of the main hiway to glass for some bucks and bulls a coyote works his way out in the flat. He mouses his way to within 65 yards or so and could have cared less that we were watching. Thoroughly annoyed because a fawn eater was taunting us without our rifles we finish the night out and head for home. The following Saturday finds me headed back up the mountain with my optics and rifle for good measure. Yeah like he will be there twice!! We pull up to the spot we seen him two nights before and I'll be darned if he wasn't out in the middle of the flat mousing again. All grins I jump out of the truck shucking a shell simultaneously. He is 200 yards. I pull a rest off the back of my pickup and haze him. Hard! I forgot that I had just cleaned my rifle and hadn't given it a fouling shot yet. The coyote trots away from us and sinks into a depression midway across Midway. Ha ha. While hes out of sight I get my spotting scope tripod up for a rest just in time for him to come out the depression working for the trees. My brother spotted him first and barks at him to get him stopped. This all happens before Im ready and because the dog stopped I couldn't pick him out. When he begins moving again I get on him trotting quartering away. Giving it just a touch of English I squeezed the trigger. The recoil takes me off picture but the report of my bullet was undeniable. The Swift had struck again! I looked at my brother and he confirmed the assumption with his silver dollar sized eyes. When we ranged him he was at 384 yards. Not bad for a country boy with a shaky rest.

Mine by far was a head shot on a g-hog. My cousin, son and I were out glassing some fields. I had just put together a new load for my 300WSM using 208 A-max bullets. I had just skipped a fatal shot off the ground just in front of a g-hog at 630yrds. That one was dead to rights, but not my favorite. We were glassing another field after that shot. We saw one mingling around in a hay field chewing on some grass at 600yrds. I sent one at him trying to judge the wind. The shot landed just in front of his nose. About 5 minutes later we see the same g-hog again.

This time he was in some brush standing up looking at us. I got my cousin on him and asked for distance and wind. He says, "605 and take the wind out." I twiddle up the turret and get ready to squeeze. He says, "hold on... put in 1/2 MOA right." I turn in the wind and slowly squeeze... BOOM! I recover just in time to see the g-hog flop straight back on the ground. My cousin said, "Did you miss him?" I said, "No, look at the base of the tree you'll see the tail twitching." I hit him right above the right eye back through the left ear. I held on his nose expecting the bullet to drop into it's chest because my other shots were a little low. I was dancing and shaking from the shot. I blame it partially on skill and mostly luck!

Tank

Last edited:
Mine was on a swallow, in flight, 40 yards, with a slingshot and piece of road gravel, called shot, with a witness.

I shot a bobcat once with my bow at about 30yards. I hit him square in the forehead and pinned him to the tree behind him by his head. Sort of reminded me of Rambo part II when he shot that guy in the head with his bow and pinned him to a tree.

The shot that I always go back to was a mule deer, lat in November. My brother and I walked out on one of my favorite spots just in time to see a 3pnt muley buck following some does out of the far draw, it was before laser range finders and the rifle was an old Savage that was re-barreled to a 250AI. I've shot a ton of deer with this rifle so I cranked up the Kentucky windage and got settled down, and waited for him to turn around and look, when he did I put the bottom of the duplex right on top of his melon and let it fly. I lost him but I heard a major "wack" and he didn't move of with the does and my brother was dancing around giggling so I figured I connected.
When we finally found him in all the sage brush the bullet caught him center just above the eyes and he dropped straight down with his legs under him, didn't twitch a bit, right where I was aiming :D It was spectacular to share that with my little brother!!! I'm going to be at that spot someday and range it but it was out there a fair piece.

Another one with my best friend was funny cause I'm kinda trigger happy. Me and my best friend where in a bale blind watching deer running though the willows and he was the one really wanting to shoot a deer so I took my 22-250 for fox but I had a deer tag. It was almost dark and I was getting tired of his not pulling the trigger and the deer where rolling though there and one doe stopped and I lined up on her waiting to see her take one but nothing so I asked if he was going to shoot and he got out the words " if you can" BOOM, I stuck a v-max in her ear, he gives me a hard time that he didn't even finish his sentence and she was on the ground.

We were pass shootin ducks one evening. We were way up ontop of a bluff in an orchard that overlooked the game refuge. Every evening the ducks blacked out the sky on thier way out of the refuge over the private orchard, but were mostly out of range due to thier steep climb from the water to get over the bluff.
Now we only had about a 20 foot lane to shoot in due to the trees and brush on the downhill side and the orchard trees on the other side, but I was having one of those rare ''ON'' days where I couldnt miss.
One passle of teals bombed over at mach speed, and all the other guys missed. I still hadnt shot but had a bead on the ducks from the time they creszted the trees to the time everybody else had missed and I was doing a full ''backbend'' with my shotgun still mounted. I picked a small hole in the orchard trees and said somebody's gonna owe me a beer for this, and I torched one off. Two teals dropped about 65 plus yards away and everyones jaw dropped! (including mine!)
Got a 2-fer shooting upside down in a backbend thru a small hole in the trees on Teals at 65 plus and called it too.
( Talk about luck!!!) Ive never been all that great with a shotgun, but that evening I couldve impressed Tom Knapp and Patric Flannigan. For some reason I just couldnt miss. Ive never to this day ever had a day like that with a shotgun, and doubt I ever will be able to put one togather like that again, But man was I on!

Oh ya the boys git me a pitcher to myself at the pizza parlor that night for that shot:D. Some days are just sooooooo sweet to revel in!

My son and I were hunting Montana last year. We Were around Dillon on the interstate when we saw two coyotes mousing in a field. I took the next exit and came back on a frontage road, sneaked along some railroad tracks until we got level with them. My son ranged the closest one at 577 with no wind to worry about. He told me which line to use on my Zeiss Conquest. I squeezed the trigger and he dropped. I took a poke at the running coyote but missed.

This one was over 30 years ago at a friend's house when we were in our teens.

It was in the fall and he had big pond behind his house. Well, my buddy looks out towards the pond to see two ducks floating around in it. He runs into his garage comes back out with an old beat up wooden recurve bow and a hand full of wooden arrows and takes a shot at these ducks. He misses short by a country mile. Another buddy of ours takes the bow and misses just as bad. I gave them both a bunch of crap for shooting like a couple of blind old ladies. Then my buddy says its my turn. Mind you these ducks are about 150 yards away or more. I take his bow and pull it back as far as it'll go, lean back so the arrow is at a 45 degree to ol' mother earth and let her fly. After about 3-4 seconds we see the arrow drop out of the sky and hit one of the two ducks.

I then calmy hand the bow back to my buddy without cracking a smile as if it's not bid deal. (Inside I was smiling all over.)

Both of my friends just about crap their pants. :)

To this day no other shot, of mine, has ever came close. I'd rather be lucky than good any day.

Rhino Hunter

Last edited:
Got lucky and hit a right to left running prairie dog at 140 yards with about a 20 mile an hour left to right cross wind with a 22LR. Held about 10 inches high and 2 feet left for the lead and wind.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.