Favorite Deer Rifle

I've got 2 favorite deer rifles, and 2 different reasons. About 20 years ago I got a Savage 99 featherweight in 308. With a 2x7 scope it'll group 1" with premium 165 gr. ammo. More importantly, the rifle fits me like a glove. Only twice have I needed more than 1 shot hunting Blacktails, Mulies, and elk in Oregon. If I could ONLY have one rifle though, it would be the 1898 Krag-jorgenson (30-40) that I inherited from my grandpa. Sometimes we could get stories from him about it. His dad died when grandpa was 2 of the Spanish flu. Starting at about 9 he had to get meat for the family with it. Without refrigeration it was often a deer a week. He said "you wouldn't believe how many deer that gun has killed. I took it out one season and got a blacktail. (1 shot offhand, 140 yds.) I told grandpa about it before he died. He just said "well, it killed a deer last time I shot it." Retired it from the woods. My son just told me though that he wants to take it hunting. Who knows, maybe my granddaughter in a few years!

Mine was a Ruger #1 in 308 but I sold it like a fool, since bought an old Browning BLR in 308 and a mod 94 (1958 version) in 30/30 and I'll have to find out which I prefer.

This bar7.jpg OR win 94.jpg this?

Like a lot of guys, I like to use different rifles though the season. Rem. M7 in 7mm-08, custom M700 in 7mm STW, and I like to use my Marlin 1895 ABL once in awhile. There are others but those are the three I've used the most the last couple of years.

Gary MD , That Custom Classic is beautiful!!! What brand rifle is that?? or was it a custom Build.??? Although it does not compare to the wood on your rifle, It makes me want to hunt with my Model 70 Super Grade ,in 270 Win, , and leave the Weatherby Ultralight in 270 Win , home, for once!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2820 Model 70 Supergrade  Pic 1 2 3 22.jpg
    IMG_2820 Model 70 Supergrade Pic 1 2 3 22.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 36
This rifle was inspired from Kathy holchul's stance on sportsman throughout NY.
It's a straight pull (no gas white oak barrel) bolt rife with all the trimmings.
I would like to thank Kathy for the inspiration!
Because without her it wouldn't exist!

Attachments

• IMG_0787.jpeg
    IMG_0787.jpeg
    703.3 KB · Views: 66
Meatyrem, that Remington is one fine looking gun, I'd a remington in 222 many years ago.
Always had a soft spot for them since the late 50s when I had a rem rolling block in 22LR.If he's still alive, my boyhood friend probably still has it as he borrowed it and it never found its way home.

I've got 2 favorite deer rifles, and 2 different reasons. About 20 years ago I got a Savage 99 featherweight in 308. With a 2x7 scope it'll group 1" with premium 165 gr. ammo. More importantly, the rifle fits me like a glove. Only twice have I needed more than 1 shot hunting Blacktails, Mulies, and elk in Oregon. If I could ONLY have one rifle though, it would be the 1898 Krag-jorgenson (30-40) that I inherited from my grandpa. Sometimes we could get stories from him about it. His dad died when grandpa was 2 of the Spanish flu. Starting at about 9 he had to get meat for the family with it. Without refrigeration it was often a deer a week. He said "you wouldn't believe how many deer that gun has killed. I took it out one season and got a blacktail. (1 shot offhand, 140 yds.) I told grandpa about it before he died. He just said "well, it killed a deer last time I shot it." Retired it from the woods. My son just told me though that he wants to take it hunting. Who knows, maybe my granddaughter in a few years!
Very hard to beat a Model 99. My Great Uncle used one for years subsistence hunting in NW Oregon, first in .303 Savage, then .300 Savage. I've a picture of him as a young man with a downed deer, probably about 1908 or so. My cousin has the rifle. No finer lever action rifle made, except the Win 88, lighter, stronger, handier, and available in 284, 308, 358.

I wasn't for certain which thread I wanted to post this rifle in, this one or in the most hated rifle. lol

I took it out for a whitetail hunt this year and it was like a family reunion.

I used it from 1995 or so on, for years. In several states. It is one I would never part with.

Sadly, it has left me a constant ringing in my right ear from this brake, as a reminder of the good times we have had.

I sent this picture to a buddy while in this box, with the caption, "the BAR is open for business".

338-win mag and 200 grain interlocks would flat smash deer!

338 bar.jpg

For me , I agree it's one that I am carrying in the field that day. But right now it's my McWhorter 45XML smokless muzzleloader. It's a hammer. 303HC Pittmans at 3060 fps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240205_104110_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240205_104110_Gallery.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20240205_104026_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240205_104026_Gallery.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20240205_104507_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240205_104507_Gallery.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 32