Favorite Deer Rifle

27 fritz, 24" barrel 7.5 twist nightforce nx8 4-32×50, 145gr eldx
1000000073.jpg

Meatyrem, that Remington is one fine looking gun, I'd a remington in 222 many years ago.
Always had a soft spot for them since the late 50s when I had a rem rolling block in 22LR.If he's still alive, my boyhood friend probably still has it as he borrowed it and it never found its way home.
Thanks. I have another of the same but it's the stainless fluted model.

Very hard to beat a Model 99. My Great Uncle used one for years subsistence hunting in NW Oregon, first in .303 Savage, then .300 Savage. I've a picture of him as a young man with a downed deer, probably about 1908 or so. My cousin has the rifle. No finer lever action rifle made, except the Win 88, lighter, stronger, handier, and available in 284, 308, 358.
Our family agrees. On my first deer hunt in 1973, my Dad and Grandpa both had 99's in 300. My son inherited Dad's. He removed the scope, carry's it as his brush gun. My uncle got Grandpa's.

This rifle was inspired from Kathy holchul's stance on sportsman throughout NY.
It's a straight pull (no gas white oak barrel) bolt rife with all the trimmings.
I would like to thank Kathy for the inspiration!
Because without her it wouldn't exist!
Usually it's the rifle that I am currently working up loads for at the time of the season ! The straight pull I had just finished so off to the woods I went! But it truly is a product of tereny!

For years mine was a 280 my father built for me. Now it's between my 6.5 PRC on a Defiance anTi XM, Proof carbon fiber barrel and Manners LRH and a 7 PRC with a Defiance GA Hunter, Foundation stock and Benchmark carbon finer barrel is an absolute hammer to.