Votes: 59 9.5%
  • 6.5-47 Lapaua

Votes: 51 8.2%
  • 6.5-06

Votes: 48 7.8%
  • Other

Votes: 198 32.0%

• Total voters
Rich, what is it based on? I have read some post about it but havent seen a pic of a formed case yet.

Riley

The parent case is .270 but you can use .280, 7x64, or the 6.5x65 RWS, which is my favorite because the brass is longer than a .270 and is REALLY tough! I will post a pic tomorrow. It looks basically like an A.I. on steroids!...Rich

Here are some pics for comparison.......Rich

Attachments

• DSCF0406.jpg
    DSCF0406.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 499
  • DSCF0404.jpg
    DSCF0404.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 451
I picked the 6.5-06 because it's the only one I have left, but was a close race with the 6.5x55.
I honestly don't think you could go wrong with any of the 6.5's.

Yes...COAL...that is my question as the nice long neck on the 6.5-06AI looks able to keep VLD bullet bases out of the powder column...which is what counts NOT just total water / powder volume capacity.
Also, Rich you mention that 6.5x65 RWS brass allows longer necks ...approx how much longer and what total neck length?
Are these rounds (6.5 Sherman & 6.5-06AI)magazine box length restricted with 140 gr Bergers/142Sierras/140AMaxs?
Sounds like you are planning of longer barrel/throat life with this design...ball park #s?

My point is I don't want a single shot because the rounds won't feed thru my magazine and I don't want a nice big case that I can't fill because if the reamer throats it out far enough then the short neck contributes to poor runout and throat erosion from the hot gas pattern.
Since the 270 case shoulder is changed and fire forming changes the body taper then that changes the 270's i.e. parent case OAL.

Like many here my favorite would have to be the Swede. I think it is the perfect blend of performance, and barrel life in the 6.5 caliber. Its accuracy is exceptional in standard form and the AI option gets significant velocity increase and even better brass life, and the standard Swede brass life is pretty good.

The standard Swede is a great kids gun for mule deer and smaller game as well. Low recoil, excellent accuracy and ballistic performance all in a small, light weight package if built right.

If I was going to go with something else it would be a big magnum of some kind. Probably Rich's Sherman or even bigger.

Scot E.

Just found the Sherman case Rich sent me... It's 2.527 , about .013 shorter than spec 270... and, about .040 longer than my 25-06 cases.

The CE 130's call for .968 bullet projection in seating which brings the COAL to 3.495. The Mag box in my Vanguard is 3.58 so I am good to go with the CE's. Might just have to do one of these just because it's Rich's Baby :)

Too bad Rich bought up all the last remaining RWS brass! :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.