Fat basterd break

Nathan at Muzzle brakes and more made a timed muzzle brake for my Remington 700 SS
mountain rifle in 300 RUM. Tamed the recoil with no problem and it is now a pleasure to shoot. It is not heavy but certainly is effective.
He tapered the back to size it down to the barrel diameter. Email him with your request.
He is very easy to work with.

I own 3 factory 110's and all have a 5/8x24tpi. If he's talking about 1/2" od on brake size, that eems small and darn near impossible. No way Savage thread that size on a 28cal. Per Savage website states 5/8×24 on muzzle threads.
Savage may not thread 1/2x28, but aftermarket will. Other manufacturers do as well. If it is 5/8x24, that is better for finding brakes that will reduce more recoil.

Howa shows they thread their superlite in 308 at 1/2x28.

Nathan at Muzzle brakes and more made a timed muzzle brake for my Remington 700 SS
mountain rifle in 300 RUM. Tamed the recoil with no problem and it is now a pleasure to shoot. It is not heavy but certainly is effective.
He tapered the back to size it down to the barrel diameter. Email him with your request.
He is very easy to work with.
Yep! I have a few of his MBs.

Nathan has a Ti Beast CFII 3-port that is 1.9 ounces and self-timing.

Last edited:
Savage may not thread 1/2x28, but aftermarket will. Other manufacturers do as well. If it is 5/8x24, that is better for finding brakes that will reduce more recoil.

Howa shows they thread their superlite in 308 at 1/2x28.
Who builds aftermarket on a Savage action? Seems like companies that use a shorter or a thiner cf that use 1/2 threads on anything larger than 22cal that use a factory installed brake us doing it to keep same lines/profile. 1/2 on a 308 sure doesn't leave much barrel (.096).

Who builds aftermarket on a Savage action? Seems like companies that use a shorter or a thiner cf that use 1/2 threads on anything larger than 22cal that use a factory installed brake us doing it to keep same lines/profile. 1/2 on a 308 sure doesn't leave much barrel (.096).
The aftermarket was more geared towards a gunsmith threading a thin barrel for a brake when a rifle wasn't factory threaded.

I am actually about to build a rifle based on a Savage action though 🤣. Mostly though because I already own the rifle and don't shoot it in it's current configuration. And since the rifle is "technically" my dad's I can't sell it. But I can modify it and keep all his parts and pieces so I could rebuild his if necessary...

Has anyone used the gen 3 fat basterd on a 110 ultra lite in 28 nosler for long range hunting?
The big question, is a 7 oz break to heavy for a rifle that weighs less than 7 lbs.

I put one of these on a 280ai that had a thinner profile barrel and liked it. There is a picture of this one on a Savage Ultralite on the website.