Faith in Remington????

Back to the original question, I would agree that the 7-08 and the 308 are very similar calibers. No need to own both unless you really wanted to. I would agree with bumping the 7-08 to a 280 or 7mag. You could also get a 7-08 and use that for target shooting and get something else for hunting (7mag, 300wm, 7stw, 300 rum, etc).

What kind of budget are you talking about for the two guns? That might help everyone in their recommendations.

What a shame that Remington quality has slipped so far down hill. My first rifle was a Remington 243 custom BDL and it shot great. Growing up in east Texas everyone I knew shot Remington. It really is a shame. I really wanted to give them another shot, but that doesn't look like it would be a very smart decision at this point.

What a shame that Remington quality has slipped so far down hill. My first rifle was a Remington 243 custom BDL and it shot great. Growing up in east Texas everyone I knew shot Remington. It really is a shame. I really wanted to give them another shot, but that doesn't look like it would be a very smart decision at this point.
Usually the upper-end Remington rifles tend to have the best reps for accuracy...Sendero, VLS, CDL-SF, 5R Milspec, VS, VSSF, Long Range, XCR, PSS, LTR, etc... Those are all well-known factory shooters. You rarely ever hear of anyone having any issues with those models. Even the cheaper SPS Varmint rifles have a good reputation.

The only trend I've noticed about all of those rifles having good accuracy reps is that they all have heavier contour barrels on them.

The barrel contour doesn't have anything to do with accuracy capabilities, but it sure does seem to have a better reputation for accuracy out of the factory Remington rifles.

Elk wonder- obvious ; you have not shot remington 700 with a krieger barrel . 400$ action , 450 for a barrel. viollla!! you pick the caliber.

I have owned four Rem 5R Milspecs in 308/300WM. Except for the new Mark X trigger, which was very poor, all were were well made/fitted, and sub MOA Performace. I like the barrels. They clean fast, and hold accuracy for +200 shots without cleaning. I also have a few buddies that own them with the same experience.

I have a 7mm-08 in a Winchester Featherweight that will kill stuff like magic. Loves Federal 140 NBT's and it is a joy to carry. Of all the Whitetails that I have put on the wall, all where shot with that gun. The only reason is that it so nice to carry..like carrying a .22 or something.

I also have a Winchester heavy barrel 22-250 for varmints, and a 300 for bigger stuff.

I no longer own any Remmies. For hunting, I'll take a Model 70 any day. Go to any pawn/gun shop and you will find dozens (hundreds?) of used 700's and their variants. You may find one or two used 70's and they will generally be a couple hundred dollars more than the Remmies. People keep their Winchesters but if things get tight they will dump their Remingtons without a second thought.

My first rifle was also a Rem BDL in 243 which I used for deer hunting in PA. I liked it, however, the bolt body developed a crack in it after about 100 rounds through it. I sent it back to Rem to get repaired then gave it to my younger brother and went out and bought a S&W M1500 in 7 RM.

Since then I've owned numerous rifles including 2 Senderos which I have since sold. They were both good shooters and no troubles with them. Recently I did a 300 RUM build on a 700 action. I replaced everything except the receiver itself.... the bolt, the trigger and the recoil lug. It is a very good shooter.

That said, the 700 actions are not my favorite by any means because I feel you must replace everything to get a really good action. For lesser cartridges replacing the recoil lug isn't necessary.

My favorite factory actions are the Weatherby Vanguard/Howa M1500 and the Winchester M70. However, I would not use them for the longer cartridges such as 7 RM and up because they are a bit on the short side to reload efficiently for the longer high BC bullet in those calibers.

Which brings up another issue for you. If you buy a factory rifle in 7-08 and/or 308 Win, it will come in a short action which will stifle your reloading for long high BC bullets. This is the conundrum for LR shooting. There are very few factory rifles that are designed to efficiently use long high BC bullets in short or long action. In the case of the 700 actions you can modify them to accept COAL's of close to 4".

If I was going to go with a 308 (or 7-08), I would find a used Vanguard/Howa or M70 standard size action for as cheap a price as I could find, have it trued up and put a good match grade barrel put on it and put it in a B&C Medalist or better stock. I would rather invest in one well crafted rifle that that will do the job efficiently than buy two rifles that don't really meet my needs.

That is exactly what I did with two other recent builds for a 6-284 and 6.5 WSM. Using the Vanguard actions was much less costly than the 700 build as I did not have to replace the bolt and recoil lug (the recoil lugs on Howa and M70 action are integral in the receiver) The howa bolts are one peice and have M-16 like extractors. I put a Timney trigger in one of them and the other I stayed with the factory trigger which I was easily able to tune to a crisp 1.2 lb break. The Timney has a 3 position safety and breaks at 1.5 lbs. I can not tell the difference between the factory and Timney triggers.

Also, the twist rate in a factory rifle might be too slow for long high BC bullets.

On cartridge selection, I would go with the 308 period, for target shooting and hunting. I do not know why anyone would take a 7-08 out to the field to hunt with when they have a 308 in the closet. Makes no sense to me, no offense intended.

If I had a 308, I would be loading 215 Berger Hybrids over RL17. An excellent target and hunting round and 308's have great barrel life.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/ok-i-am-believer-308-rl-17-208-amax-sweet-spot-54102/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/215gr-berger-hybrid-308win-104197/

finish-02-look-down.gif

Attachments

• 10469232_10203758273824012_2889136760394505188_n.jpg
    10469232_10203758273824012_2889136760394505188_n.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 35
I have a 7mm-08 in a Winchester Featherweight that will kill stuff like magic. Loves Federal 140 NBT's and it is a joy to carry. Of all the Whitetails that I have put on the wall, all where shot with that gun. The only reason is that it so nice to carry..like carrying a .22 or something.

I also have a Winchester heavy barrel 22-250 for varmints, and a 300 for bigger stuff.

I no longer own any Remmies. For hunting, I'll take a Model 70 any day. Go to any pawn/gun shop and you will find dozens (hundreds?) of used 700's and their variants. You may find one or two used 70's and they will generally be a couple hundred dollars more than the Remmies. People keep their Winchesters but if things get tight they will dump their Remingtons without a second thought.

There is no factual basis for any of these statements.

Indeed! Hopefully, it does not get any worst. Now, their challenge is to find ways and means to pay off the lawsuit without further getting into the hole financially and quality wise ... a big obstacle to overcome for any company.

I guess I just don't understand where the 'quality' has slipped. Yes, they recalled their triggers. And yes, the triggers are not good anyway. Outside of that, I have not had one issue with the many 700's I have. I bought a sporter SPS a couple years back, threw it in a B&C stock, bedded it, and added a Timney. Easy 1/2 MOA gun with little load development and all in for under $850. Now you have the Long Range option, which could be an even cheaper route to go and you get a better barrel. Inexpensive options to find 1/2 MOA rifles IMO...

I guess I just don't understand where the 'quality' has slipped. Yes, they recalled their triggers. And yes, the triggers are not good anyway. Outside of that, I have not had one issue with the many 700's I have. I bought a sporter SPS a couple years back, threw it in a B&C stock, bedded it, and added a Timney. Easy 1/2 MOA gun with little load development and all in for under $850. Now you have the Long Range option, which could be an even cheaper route to go and you get a better barrel. Inexpensive options to find 1/2 MOA rifles IMO...

Exactly. Same experiences for me. Aftermarket triggers are a must, but the reason you hear so much negative PR about the new Remingtons is because of the invention of the internet. Which is where people go online and b*tch about everything. The number of people complaining outloud APPEARS to far outweigh the number of people who don't have any problems out of their gun. The reason is, because if it's not broke, there's no reason to be on the internet complaining about it. :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.