Factory 7 PRC 180 ELD Match CBTO

SmokinCrow

I just got my 7 PRC back from my smith. Rebarreled Rem 700 Sendero, and I can't wait to get out out shooting. I picked up a box of 175 Precision Hunter Ammo just for some brass. I have been planning on running the 180 ELD M's out of the rifle. I have found in the past with my other Hornady designed cartridges starting off seating my bullets at the same or very close CBTO seating as the factory ammo gets me very close to a great seating depth. I haven't been able to get my hands on any of the 180 Match ammo. Was wondering if anyone had some factory 180 ammo and could give me an overall lenght or CBTO length to work with? Any help would be appreciated.

I have shot a bunch of 180eldm, I have found they seem like like .050 off or closer to the lands. The factory ammo might be shorter than that, have you measured your chamber?

The hornady book gives a length of 3.32" for the 180.

I have shot a bunch of 180eldm, I have found they seem like like .050 off or closer to the lands. The factory ammo might be shorter than that, have you measured your chamber?

The hornady book gives a length of 3.32" for the 180.
I haven't measured anything yet. I mainly ask because I found with other hornady designed cases their factory ammo seating has been a great place to start for me. The Creedmoor 147 eld match ammo was slightly longer than book length. Just curious and it's a start.

They should rename there ammo to
NON- Precision hunter ammo
I have shot less than a box of the Precision Hunter and I have 1 group under MOA and 2 at .5 MOA. My dad has shot less than a box of Precision Hunter through his 7 PRC and has .5 MOA Groups. The group I have that is at MOA is because I have a crappy factory trigger on the gun. It's inconsistent to when it breaks. Could be 4 lbs or could be 6.5 lbs. Smith found an issue with my aftermarket trigger and sent it in to be repaired, We put factory trigger back on so I could shoot the gun til the trigger comes back. I didn't buy the Precision Hunter for any other reason than to have brass to load the 180's I plan on using. I don't want to bash any product or anything. Just looking on info for the Factory 180 ELD Match Ammo. I've had good success starting at the same OAL as the Hornady factory match ammo and adjusting out from there. My experiences with Hornady Precision Hunter in other calibers has been positive as well. Just looking for info and not wanting to start anything bashing products or comparing better or worse products.

Howdy, my 175 are 3.300 to 3.296 per box. And 180 are 3.290 to 3.286 per box.
The 175's powder measures 72.3 to 71.7 per bullet per box. I haven't pulled any 180.
Hope this helps. 🤓

Last edited:
Howdy, my 175 are 3.300 to 3.296 per box. And 180 are 3.290 to 3.286 per box.
The 175's powder measures 72.3 to 71.7 per bullet per box. I haven't pulled any 180.
Hope this helps. 🤓
Thanks. That helps a ton. Now to find a little time to load up and test