6.5 PRC Hornady 147 gr. ELD Match factory powder

I'm playing with RL26 and 4955 in a 6.5/06ai. Both shoot well. If you do a ladder with the prc you have with whatever powders you choose it will tell you what speed it wants to shoot rather than trying to duplicate a load you cannot determine what the propellant is with certainty. One thing I've found is that mag primers with slower powders/lighter bullets will produce better sd's most of the time.
Also in extreme cold I've had some surprises with retumbo in a 7rm (sub zero) Went way over pressure in a load that while warm had no swipe or excessive case head growth (less than .0015)
Good luck

Has anyone found a accurate load under 140 gr for 6.5 prc for hunting ? 147 match factory great accuracy , But.

I'm shooting the Berger 140 gr. VLD-H using 55.6 gr. RL-26, Federal GM 210M Primer, Hornady Brass, 2.992" COAL (.010" off lands) with an average of 3141 fps.

Hornady 140 gr. ELD-M, 57.0 gr. Reloder 25, Federal GM210M Primer, Hornady Brass, 2.970" COAL (.020" off lands) with an average 0f 3002 fps.

Both loads had single digit S.D.s

That's in a Savage 110 High Country 6.5 PRC

CAUTION: As always, back off and work up

Last edited:
How do you like the high country ? I looked at them , a bit to heavy for hunting that's why I went with Mesa little lighter.

How do you like the high country ? I looked at them , a bit to heavy for hunting that's why I went with Mesa little lighter.
I'm liking it real well so far. It's a little heavy for a "High Country" gun unless you have a horse. I hunt from a shooting house most of the time so it lays on sand bags
I've got it topped with a Vortex Razor HD, which matches the bronze on the gun metal. I've also added a Gemtech Dagger Titanium Suppressor. Now all I need is for deer rifle season to open Saturday ;-)

If I had that scenario I would have purchased one , but we still hike and ride, I'm not tough enough anymore to carry 11-12 lb guns , I used a rem sendero 300 win for everything very accurate but very heavy and more than needed for deer, then bought savage 110 6.5 cm shoots great but heavy again ( didn't want to spend to much on something before I liked cartridge) now bought lighter prc, took a nice md sat in Neb. Turned lungs into jello at 150 yds.

More than likely it's not a powder that is available to the gp. Hornady put the creed recipe on the box because that was a request of the target shooter who was in on the development. They have since moved to another powder not commercially available as a canister powder.

I'm liking it real well so far. It's a little heavy for a "High Country" gun unless you have a horse. I hunt from a shooting house most of the time so it lays on sand bags
I've got it topped with a Vortex Razor HD, which matches the bronze on the gun metal. I've also added a Gemtech Dagger Titanium Suppressor. Now all I need is for deer rifle season to open Saturday ;-)
How is your deer hunting going ?

Is it that hard to duplicate a load once speed and coal is known? Also even if you guess at a powder, wouldn't you work up looking for pressure signs?

I can tell you just because they use one powder in a particular factory round doesnt mean they will continue the same forever. Your better off just to start from scratch every rifles different.

Is it that hard to duplicate a load once speed and coal is known? Also even if you guess at a powder, wouldn't you work up looking for pressure signs?

It's not hard to duplicate the velocity and COAL, but each powder is different. They have different burn rates, coatings, peak pressure curves and physical dimensions. It's more about minimum extreme spreads and standard deviation between shots. Some are just more accurate than others.
Without precision measuring equipment such as strain gauges and pressure barrels, it's hard for us hobby reloaders to really know what our pressures are. We can look for primer flattening, brass swipe and heavy bolt lift, but those are just S.W.A.G. (Scientific Wild Arse Guessing). Don't get me wrong, I use those indications too, but when we see one of those pressure signs, we don't know if we're 5,000 psi above SAAMI specs, or 5,000 psi from blowing the gun up. But if I can get the right bullet, powder, COAL, velocity and powder type, hopefully I can duplicate an accurate factory load

Each rifle is different. There is no way a manufacturer can make a factory load that will produce low ES in all rifles. The ES from a decent Reloader should always be better.

The speed imho seems to be the ticket. I would match coal, work up and shoot either a ladder or ocw centered on the speed.

Good luck.

QUOTE="Nimrodmar10, post: 1766595, member: 36369"]It's not hard to duplicate the velocity and COAL, but each powder is different. They have different burn rates, coatings, peak pressure curves and physical dimensions. It's more about minimum extreme spreads and standard deviation between shots. Some are just more accurate than others.
Without precision measuring equipment such as strain gauges and pressure barrels, it's hard for us hobby reloaders to really know what our pressures are. We can look for primer flattening, brass swipe and heavy bolt lift, but those are just S.W.A.G. (Scientific Wild Arse Guessing). Don't get me wrong, I use those indications too, but when we see one of those pressure signs, we don't know if we're 5,000 psi above SAAMI specs, or 5,000 psi from blowing the gun up. But if I can get the right bullet, powder, COAL, velocity and powder type, hopefully I can duplicate an accurate factory load[/QUOTE]

Each rifle is different. There is no way a manufacturer can make a factory load that will produce low ES in all rifles. The ES from a decent Reloader should always be better.

The speed imho seems to be the ticket. I would match coal, work up and shoot either a ladder or ocw centered on the speed.

Good luck.

QUOTE="Nimrodmar10, post: 1766595, member: 36369"]It's not hard to duplicate the velocity and COAL, but each powder is different. They have different burn rates, coatings, peak pressure curves and physical dimensions. It's more about minimum extreme spreads and standard deviation between shots. Some are just more accurate than others.
Without precision measuring equipment such as strain gauges and pressure barrels, it's hard for us hobby reloaders to really know what our pressures are. We can look for primer flattening, brass swipe and heavy bolt lift, but those are just S.W.A.G. (Scientific Wild Arse Guessing). Don't get me wrong, I use those indications too, but when we see one of those pressure signs, we don't know if we're 5,000 psi above SAAMI specs, or 5,000 psi from blowing the gun up. But if I can get the right bullet, powder, COAL, velocity and powder type, hopefully I can duplicate an accurate factory load
[/QUOTE]

That's why, when I found a factory load that shoots 1/4" groups in my rifle, the first thing I did was buy 5 boxes of the same lot number. Then I found a load that duplicates it. I'm a happy hunter