Factory 204 Ruger Suggestions?

I will throw this in the mix. It's a lot heavier then your suggested weight but my factory non bedded absolutely nothing done to it Ruger m77 target laminate stock 204 Ruger is a tac driver with hands (all I've ever shot through it) I am not a big Ruger fan and I only own two. I build my own rifles and have a safe full of them but this little factory Ruger has been crazy accurate. I had a PD kill at 658yards in WY wind
C09D783F-7983-4E4D-A1E9-1DB2D0847210.png

Last year i was wanting a 204 just like you. Budget was slim. I picked up a Remington 700 SPS varmint. It is my first newer 700 rifle with the QR code on the action. The barreled action fit and finish is better than i had anticipated. As expected, the stock was crap. I liked the shape and feel, but it was cheap, hollow Tupperware. I picked up a lightly used HS varmint stock to replace it. I haven't had a lot of time for load experimenting. The 32grn v-max and blitzkings both perform excellent with Benchmark powder. It is a 1-12 twist barrel. I will be testing the 40grn and 39grn bullets this spring. So, i wouldn't let the negative reviews of the sps rifles detour you.

I do not know why Remington still puts a 12 twist in there 204. An 11 would be much better, some 12's will stabilize 40's some wont would be much better if they did an 11 twist.

Last year i was wanting a 204 just like you. Budget was slim. I picked up a Remington 700 SPS varmint. It is my first newer 700 rifle with the QR code on the action. The barreled action fit and finish is better than i had anticipated. As expected, the stock was crap. I liked the shape and feel, but it was cheap, hollow Tupperware. I picked up a lightly used HS varmint stock to replace it. I haven't had a lot of time for load experimenting. The 32grn v-max and blitzkings both perform excellent with Benchmark powder. It is a 1-12 twist barrel. I will be testing the 40grn and 39grn bullets this spring. So, i wouldn't let the negative reviews of the sps rifles detour you.

My SPS varmint 223 is a tack driver - just have to replace the stock and the trigger. 1/2"-1/4" gun all day long after that. Mine wears a boyds laminate stock.

Happy to hear reports on new remingtons.... I have a safe full of 700's and clones yet I'm hesitant on a new production rifle. Good to hear some positive results out of newer stock Rems.

I cut my teeth on Ruger tang safety's so the post on the Ruger is interesting as well and impressive shot with a 204 for sure! My Rugers now collect dust and remain in my fleet for nostalgic value. I do pull out my 6mm rem occasionally for memories.

Thanks for the responses, you've made my selection entirely too complicated...which is a great thing.

I liked the CZ 527 "Varmint" model ( owned them in .223 and .17 Rem too) in .204. My style of PD shooting and coyote calling is more of the "Walking Varminter" style. Now, if I was just sitting over a big patch to shoot woodchucks, or to make the 1000yd Club I'd want bigger and heavier, but the CZ is a sweetheart IMO.

I'm looking to add a 204 ruger to my fleet and seeking advice on factory models. Budget is 1000.00 and purpose would be for trigger time and for coyotes, bobcats and dirt poodles. Weight isn't a huge factor but like to keep it 10# or under. New or used is ok. Prefer 11 twist but seems most are offered in 12 twist.

Just looking for a solid, accurate out of the box setup to hunt varmints with. Trying to keep myself from building another custom because it won't be good on my wallet or marriage.

Savage model 12 varmint low profile seems to be where I'm leaning.

Any thoughts or comments on make/models?

Thanks
Probably more than you want to spend but my Sako varmint in 204 with the set trigger was awesome.

I like my Remington 700 varmint. It is far from stock now but performed very good in stock form. I also have a Remington R-15 ( not sure if they still make them) in 204 it's seen a lot of gross abuse and still shoot MOA!

I bought a Savage 12fv from cabelas. It shot unbelievable with the crap factory stock, but I hated it. I ordered a lam stock from Stockys and it handles so much better. It is a consistent 1/4-3/8 moa gun with 39gr SBK's. It is an absolute hammer and was stupid cheap.

I bought a Savage 12fv from cabelas. It shot unbelievable with the crap factory stock, but I hated it. I ordered a lam stock from Stockys and it handles so much better. It is a consistent 1/4-3/8 moa gun with 39gr SBK's. It is an absolute hammer and was stupid cheap.
Savages are tough to beat - you can spend a lot more money, but you usually won't gain any accuracy over a savage...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.