.204 Ruger

I have the itch to get a .204 Ruger for target shooting and occasional varmint shooting. I want a left hand model and would really like a Tikka but I don't see any of these available. I see that savage has this in left hand model but I know nothing about them. How accurate are the savage rifles? Which model is preferred? I would like to stay below $800 . Are there others in this price range?
Thanks
I have two Tikkas in 204 and love them but very hard to find in the US. I own this gun (CZ 527) in 17 Hornet and really like it too, would not hesitate to have one in 204. The single set trigger is awesome and extremely accurate. You have to scroll down to find the .204 left hand and of course it's not the one on sale. Best of luck!

Last edited:
I have the .204 CZ 527 and it's an ok rifle. The first one I purchased was not at all ok. The magazine wouldn't feed unless the bolt was slammed with force. I sent it to CZ and they sent it back after working on the magazine. The rifle functioned marginally better. Lucky for me a CZ gunsmith scratched the barrel so they sent me a new rifle. Low and behold the rifle action worked as it should and I won the walnut rifle stock lottery. I also own a CZ 452 17hmr. My point is that CZ rifles can be a bit of a crap shoot.
I have 5 Tikka rifles and believe they are the best factory rifle out there. Unfortunately Tikka only offers the .204 in a 20" compact T3x. Sako offers a nice .204 ss rifle but it's $1900
Cooper is another out of the OP's price range option.
After it's all said and done I would opt for the Tikka compact tx3.

I have the .204 CZ 527 and it's an ok rifle. The first one I purchased was not at all ok. The magazine wouldn't feed unless the bolt was slammed with force. I sent it to CZ and they sent it back after working on the magazine. The rifle functioned marginally better. Lucky for me a CZ gunsmith scratched the barrel so they sent me a new rifle. Low and behold the rifle action worked as it should and I won the walnut rifle stock lottery. I also own a CZ 452 17hmr. My point is that CZ rifles can be a bit of a crap shoot.
I have 5 Tikka rifles and believe they are the best factory rifle out there. Unfortunately Tikka only offers the .204 in a 20" compact T3x. Sako offers a nice .204 ss rifle but it's $1900
Cooper is another out of the OP's price range option.
After it's all said and done I would opt for the Tikka compact tx3.
Heard a lot of good about the Coopers as well, but they aren't cheap like you said, for that budget the options open up considerably, including a really nice custom assembly. I agree with you about Tikka being the best factory rifle, quite a bit more money than the low end stuff but still under 1k generally, but man they're just so SMOOTH! I have probably said that 100 times, I just can't get over it. And their production consistency is phenomenal as well.

Warren
you mention reaching over the scope to work action. That is just a field thing. At the bench, left hand stays at the grip, right hand works the bolt and puts ammo in gun. Does not get much better.

I don't know anything about these. Are they accurate?
I own one. They are very accurate. If I am not mistaken, the twist rate on the TC is 1-10 where everyone else's is 1-12.
Mine shot .5 moa right out of the box and will all day with anything I run through it.
It is an ugly rascal but boy will it shoot.

I happen to own a RH Thompson Center Dimension in 7 calibers, one being the 204 Ruger. After a little trial-and-error, I settled on the 35g Berger. Under 25g of RL10x, it shoots 1/4" groups. I am still looking for it's first woodchuck initiation. Nasty accurate!

And with the Dimension, you can shoot other calibers, as long as you can find the barrel and it's corresponding bolt. (It has since been discontinued.) There are/were 11 calibers initially available...I have 7 barrels, I shoot 5 of them, and I used to know where the other 4 barrels were located, when/if I wanted them.

All the 5 calibers I shoot do 1/4" groups...2 with factory ammo (. 223/.243) and the other 3 with reloads (.204/.22-250/6.5 CM). I plan on reloading the .223/.243, as time permits.

All-n-all, the Dimension satifys my shooting itch.

Here is the solution: buy a right hand tikka in 204, and a left hand tikka in 223, shoot them both to make sure you are happy with how the group, get agunsmith to swap over the barrels , sell the right hand 223. Headspace is so accurate that there will not need for any other adjustments, the only thing is that the markings on the barrel won't be in the same original position. But if the rifle is a tack driver I can leave with that

Any of these options will work, but if a Cooper is in the running, I'd just find a left hand rifle, whether it be Tikka or Remington, and have it rebarreled. If target shooting is your interest, you might just stay with .223 since it will buck the wind better and have better selection of components. If you're planning to shoot .204 in some volume, I assume you reload, too, so consider .20 Practical. The problem with .20s is that they are a small bore, and tend to be overbore anyhow, but a bit of copper fouling is more significant in a smaller bore than the same amount of fouling in a larger bore. I have a CZ527 that thus far patterns more than groups. I still need to do some corrective work before deciding whether to rebarrel, but I will agree they are iffy on what you're going to get.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.