Fact or Fiction

Gents,

This is not about whether it matters or not, this is about, according to the original
poster, whether there is any truth to it or not. Seems like there is not scientific
studies saying one way or the other. So our next best thing would be to analyze
what every body else is thinking, and make our owen educated conclusions. I'm
glad to read about J E Customs and the 20,000 boat tails; that's great, but I
still believe that what fiftydriver said has a whole lot of common sense to it. Perhaps
the difference isn't that big in bores like the 308, perhaps in them big monster, Allen
Mags and others, makes a huge difference, I don't know, but when I think about it,
again comes to my mind what fiftydriver said about it. I think his thoughts are
worthy of consideration.

Regards,

Last edited:
The point I was trying to get across to the original poster may have gotten lost in the briefness' of my statement. So here is the long version.

It would seem that there is little scientific data to support much of a conclusion on this subject. Fiftydriver makes a good a possible very valid point, but the differing effects of wear caused by each type are small. So small in fact, that they are not even worth considering. In a sport of practicalities, let's not get hung-up on theories and almost immeasurable differences that don't amount to any real difference in outcome.

Shane

The point I was trying to get across to the original poster may have gotten lost in the briefness' of my statement. So here is the long version.

It would seem that there is little scientific data to support much of a conclusion on this subject. Fiftydriver makes a good a possible very valid point, but the differing effects of wear caused by each type are small. So small in fact, that they are not even worth considering. In a sport of practicalities, let's not get hung-up on theories and almost immeasurable differences that don't amount to any real difference in outcome.

Shane

Well expressed.

Now, Shane, you do realize that what you expressed is still a theory.
No one is getting hung up on anything, we're just chatting about something that to some of us happen to be interested in. That's all. No disrispect meant to any one. :)

Last edited:
First off, I'm sorry if I sounded like I felt any kind of disrespect. I truly did not, and am thankful for your concerned reply. I do apologize for any writing that could have been construed as me being upset by the question posed.

Dogknott, thank you for asking your question, and please ask any such questions in the future. We all learn when someone ask, and none learn when no one ask.

I had never seen this subject on any forums, my not have been pay'n much attention. I had always heard that the hot burning gasses got up around the BT and tended to burn out the rifling.This would result in much faster barrel erosion. Being much more of a shot gunner, I believed it. Now that I'm wanting to get into reloading rifle , I got to wondering if was true.

Thanks for the info!!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.