F Class rules.

J W Voita

I'm building a rifle for a fellow who wants to get involed in F-Class-Open competition. There is an article titled introduction to F-Class that states "muzzle breaks are not permitted ". But, a copy of F-Class rules makes no mention of muzzle breaks one way or the other. Are any of you experienced shooters able to tell me wether or not a muzzle break on an open class rifle is permitted in this discipline.

I've been next to people running Brakes in test/prep range time for F-Class.

Nothing worse than trying to stay in position when muzzle blast in your face.

I can see why they should NOT be allowed.

I've been next to people running Brakes in test/prep range time for F-Class.

Nothing worse than trying to stay in position when muzzle blast in your face.

I can see why they should NOT be allowed.
I totally agree with you, and for that very same reason. What i am trying to do however, is varify that breaks are not permitted. The absence of any statement to that effect in the listed rules, leaves me without an explanation to the owner of this gun as to why I omitted the break he specified. If I could tell him, with confidence, because breaks are not permitted in F-Class matches, I'm sure he would be fine with that. Surley someone on this forum can speak to this issue with confidence.

If you want to submit your scores and be recognized by the NRA you cannot use any muzzle device, open or not.

We still allow people with breaks to shoot, but they cannot qualify for national matches or get the required points/scores to class up.

Rule 3.16.1 of the NRA shooting rules. Not specific to f class, but all nra shooting sports.

Last edited:
F-Class is an extension of NRA hi-power. NRA Rule Book, Rule 3.16.1 says no brakes.

Beyond that, even at matches that aren't official NRA sanctioned matches where rules may be more flexibly applied, running a brake when you're shooting elbiebone to elbiebone is beyond distracting to other shooters so there's the politeness factor. Every match I compete in where there's shooters right next to each other during the firing period, regardless of which specific sport, has not allowed muzzle brakes.

F-Class is an extension of NRA hi-power. NRA Rule Book, Rule 3.16.1 says no brakes.

Beyond that, even at matches that aren't official NRA sanctioned matches where rules may be more flexibly applied, running a brake when you're shooting elbiebone to elbiebone is beyond distracting to other shooters so there's the politeness factor. Every match I compete in where there's shooters right next to each other during the firing period, regardless of which specific sport, has not allowed muzzle brakes.
Thanks guys! That's a big help to me. Also helps me understand the match rules in general.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.