F-Class caliber?

I was a first time F-Class mid/long range prone Open class shooter last year.

Travis built a 7mm Rem Mag for me....it made a rookie look good gun)

I'm a firm believer it's the shooter not the rifle....but in this case...first time competitor...rookie moves at the reloading bench...not much time for load development...etc.... it was very obvious especially on the days with "tougher" conditions (i.e. blowing wind flags over), that the 7mm mags are very tough to beat in the hands of a competent shooter.

IMHO...the scale tips to far in terms of recoil if looking to run a big thiry or 338 vs the 7mms. JMHO though.

It's now my first recommendation when someone is looking at a 600+ yd capable gun for paper.

7mm Rem Mag + R Bros magic reamer/throat design + 180 Hybrids = 3050-3100 fps from Retumbo with RWS brass out of 27-28" barrels.

Getting ready to try Viht N570 with this case/bullet combo....

Run the numbers. It's an impressive combo. Additionally...if you run the numbers on a 2800-2850 fps 300 gr Berger...the wind drift numbers are nearly identical. So you compete/practice with a 3050-3100 fps 180 Berger all year long..... and "learn" wind calls, that translate to when you "hunt" with your 2800-2850 fps 300 gr Berger. Bam! Boom! Doesn't get any better than that!

Off the shelf Redding Type S / Comp dies.

Brass a plenty. RWS stuff is tough and top notch.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
I was a first time F-Class mid/long range prone Open class shooter last year.

Travis built a 7mm Rem Mag for me....it made a rookie look good gun)

How does the remmy make anyone look good? lol... And btw i have a 7mm remmy and dont want another until the need arrises...

How does the remmy make anyone look good? lol... And btw i have a 7mm remmy and dont want another until the need arrises...

BANJO- The wind drift at given distance are much less and thus you can shoot better scores than with a cartridge with a lower bc and or velocity. if i shot a 308 instead of a 6.5-284 i am sure i would land in the middle of the pack. because my wind guesses are not within 1-2mph. try driving a 240z against a corvette.

BANJO- The wind drift at given distance are much less and thus you can shoot better scores than with a cartridge with a lower bc and or velocity. if i shot a 308 instead of a 6.5-284 i am sure i would land in the middle of the pack. because my wind guesses are not within 1-2mph. try driving a 240z against a corvette.

No i meant how does it make you look better than if you had a .308? I mean a miss is a miss, a horrible score is a horrible score...

Banjo- i have not shot the . 308 . i know the wind drift is a LOT less than a 308 whether you are talking about the 6.5-284 or the 7wsm. . they make up for my average ability at "GUESSING the wind" . I, personally would not shoot a horrible score with a 308 just lower . if i was shooting against 36 others intead of being somewhere in the top 10 i am guessing i would end up in the middle . try shooting several 20 shot groups at 600 or so yards see what shape they are. ron

No i meant how does it make you look better than if you had a .308? I mean a miss is a miss, a horrible score is a horrible score...

Banjo-Like Ronin stated....your ability to judge wind...is the single most important factor that you as the shooter can effect in LR precision/accuracy given a equal shooter/rifle/load.

A cartridge that drifts less at 900-1000 yds due to the effects of wind, will "make a rookie look good" in that although the wind call by the rookie shooter wasn't perfect, the effects of the imperfect wind call on the shot, won't be as much as an inferior exterior ballistically performing caliber.

Example: Using your ballistic software of choice, run the wind drift numbers for 5 mph of wind for both a 3100 fps .284 180 Hybrid bullet and your .308 (2700 fps 190 Hybrid?). It's fairly easy to miss 5 mph worth of wind over a 900-1000 yd shot on less then ideal days. Given equal shooters/loads/rifles, the difference in drift you see between the two calibers on your calculation will be manifested on the target.

Or just compete this season with a bunch of fellas shooting 7mms....and you not...that'd be another way for the light to come on lightbulb

Banjo-Like Ronin stated....your ability to judge wind...is the single most important factor that you as the shooter can effect in LR precision/accuracy given a equal shooter/rifle/load.

A cartridge that drifts less at 900-1000 yds due to the effects of wind, will "make a rookie look good" in that although the wind call by the rookie shooter wasn't perfect, the effects of the imperfect wind call on the shot, won't be as much as an inferior exterior ballistically performing caliber.

Example: Using your ballistic software of choice, run the wind drift numbers for 5 mph of wind for both a 3100 fps .284 180 Hybrid bullet and your .308 (2700 fps 190 Hybrid?). It's fairly easy to miss 5 mph worth of wind over a 900-1000 yd shot on less then ideal days. Given equal shooters/loads/rifles, the difference in drift you see between the two calibers on your calculation will be manifested on the target.

Or just compete this season with a bunch of fellas shooting 7mms....and you not...that'd be another way for the light to come on lightbulb

I dont use ballistic calculators...

I dont use ballistic calculators...

Banjo....You don't have to. I listed another method for the light to come on for you.

Why are you here anyway?

People come on this forum fall into two categories....they are here either to learn or share the results of thier experience to help others learn.

This forum isn't for trolls/tools who have nothing more than an interest in antagonizing others on a discipline (LR Hunting) that they know nothing about.

I've read your posts....you've contributed nothing IMHO to this great forum. And it appears as though you've chased off the more knowledgeable sages of your previous threads.

So my two cents to you...and others like you. edit Go to another forum. And yes....if we were in person I'd say the same...and trust me...you'd listen to my advice.

Or.... you could sit on your hands for while. Post respectfully. Learn. Become a better LR shooter. And then maybe someday, you can help someone else along...when they don't understand why a 7mm Rem Mag can "make a rookie look good".

Hope that wasn't to harsh. If it was for you....well toughen up Francis. You've got a lot to learn. You're going to have a helluva time learning LR hunting all by yourself with an attitude like yours. There's a lot of great knowledgable folks on here. It tweaks me to see someone like yourself muck this forum up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Autorotate, that's why I decided to continue to post...somewhat. It was to give knowledge to those who stumbled across this thread and try to glean some knowledge. Better to have some good info rather than a bunch of nonsense. Though this thread could have had much better info. It's a shame really.:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.