Extractor and Feed problems on Sendero

BearDog

Hi All,

I have a Remington Sendero SF II in a .300 Win Mag, and I am having a few issues with it, which keep popping up at the worst possible times. I bought the gun brand new, and the only thing I have changed about it, is swapping out the stock.

The extractor... I have put about 40 or so round through this thing, and have had 4 failure to extract. I originally thought it was because I was cycling the bolt too slowly because I didn't want the spent case to go flying when I was at the range, but when I was up in AK on an alpine Blacktail hunt, I shot at a deer and as I cycled the bolt, I noticed that the case did not eject. Thankfully I dusted the deer, so I did not need a follow up. But still, that would have been a bummer.

The feed...Mule deer hunting in WA, took a quick kneeling shot at a deer, and as I cycled the bolt, the case ejected, but it did not push the next round. The best way I could describe it, is the back of the round was slightly pushed down, and the business end of it was pushed up at too great of an angle, causing it to bind. And yes I did pull the bolt all the way back. Thankfully that deer was downed too, but you can see where this could be an issue.

So my question to all of you, is what are my options? Should I give Remington a shout and tell them they screwed the pooch, or would something like swapping out the extractor do the trick? What are good options if that is the case? And what the heck should I do about the feeding issue???

Thanks!

Last edited:
If your extractor is failure to remove the case from the chamber than I'd look into replacing the extractor. The sako style conversion gives you a much more positive extraction and you won't feel that clunk when closing the bolt to get the factory extractor to snap over the rim. If it's failing to clear the ejection port than you may have an issue with the ejector. For feeding it could be in the feed rails or the follower and spring. For an upgrade to a more reliable feeding Wyatts has their center feed boxes. The cases aren't staggered in the mag box but rather straight inline. They pop to center when the bolt is returned to the rear and the case slides straight forward into the chamber. They are available in standard magazine box length or if you are shooting the longer VLD type bullets and need a little more room they come in an extended version as well. The extended version will need some receiver modifications to work. The only down side is you will only have 2 in the mag and 1 in the chamber, but it sounds like you won't be needing the 3rd or 4th round anyway.:D

2 choices. Is there any crud under the extractor? The Rem extractors have worked for years so don't ditch it yet. Also, look at the ejector, painted with brass around it, does it depress and spring back ok? If all seems well, thats the 2 choices. Send it Rem and complain, insert aftermarket parts and hope. Based on the info you presented, I would replace the extractor after a thorogh cleaning. Not hard to replace. They go in they same way they came out. If you decide on an aftermarket extractor, our opinion is the M16 type available from Pacific Tool & Guage. Dave Kiff reccomends them and we have seen they work the best. You can send your bolt to them, or to us, same difference. For $8 a new Rem extractor may fit the bill. Hope this helps muddy the waters

Only had a couple do this to me. A new factory extractor will likely do it, but I will put in a vote for having a M-16 extractor installed. I feel this is a great upgrade for the 125 bucks you will spend getting it done.

Jeff

Thank you guys for the response. I admittedly wish I was more knowledgable the Remington 700 Bolt. Kevin, that was a pretty interesting series of videos you have up on Youtube on the installation of a Sako style extractor. Cool to watch the process.

I could not for the life of me come up with what the issue could be based off of what you guys were telling me. I am a freak about keeping my weapons clean, so on a whim I brought the bolt to work with me. I am a graphic designer, and we have different temperature lights at work that we use from proofing. Basically they don't make everything yellow like indoor lighting, and reveal color and hidden imperfections. There it was...I have rust building along the extractor. Could have been from the storm that caught us off guard in AK, but I have been having extraction problems from day one...Which makes me wonder if it was rusty when I picked it up and didn't notice.

Here is where I might sound like a complete newbie. There is a round piece of metal on the extractor near the ejector. I am seeing noticeable ware on the lip of the bolt, near that round piece. Im not sure if that is common, because I do not see that on the bolt of my SPS tactical (.308)....which BTW seems to have a much different (and burlier) extractor than it's Sendero counterpart.

With that small build up of rust, do you guys think replacing the factory extractor would be a good move, or should I go ahead and have a m16 style one put in? Would it be more beneficial to either try to get Remington to send me a new bolt?

Thanks again guys!

I'm going to guess the small round thing your looking at is the rivet that holds magnum extractors in place the smaller 308 type does not use the rivet in style. The wear is probably the nose of the bolt it bulges a little where the rivet is and it can rub on the counterbore.
Adjusting Remington extractors is a artform they seem to be to far out or to far in hardly ever just right.

Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.