Experience with RRS Tripod Setups

Here's a picture of a TFCT, series 3 and series 2 apex. The series 2 is on the 22i.

There's an anvil adapter that goes in the middle of the versa apex (series 2 and 3). The anvil bolts right into the TFCT.

Attachments

• head.jpg
    head.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 54
Here's a picture of the 22i, 34L and 22i compact (has no leg wrap or anvil).

Attachments

• tripods.jpg
    tripods.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 61
it looks like the ascend integrated ballhead would be slightly better for glassing than the Anvil. I wish you could quick swap the center column and an Anvil head on the ascend 14 series.

I have the Ascend 14L and do just that, I bought it with the integrated head and got a second column with the Anvil to swap and shoot off. The integrated head is better for glassing due to the pan feature but lacks the strength to support a rifle outside of directly under the balance point. The Anvil however is plenty strong too lock the rifle even by grabbing the bipod rail but the lack of pan makes it awkward to glass with.

I typically use mine with the integrated head and switch to the Anvil specifically if I know I'm going to be shooting off it.

Here's a picture of a TFCT, series 3 and series 2 apex. The series 2 is on the 22i.

There's an anvil adapter that goes in the middle of the versa apex (series 2 and 3). The anvil bolts right into the TFCT.
That's one feature I like about the TFCT, the fact it's already all set for the Anvil to bolt right in.

Yeah, I like that, too. What I found, though, was more horizontal movement in the tripod. If I clamped the rifle in at standing height there was more play left/right than with the series 2.

Just got off the phone with RRS and they recommended the TFCT-24L for best all around option for my needs BUT if size, weight, and using more while sitting are higher priority, they recommended the TFCT-14L over the 24L. Pretty much just reconfirmed exactly where I'm at... the 14L or the 24L?? The main feature I like the 24L over the 14L is that I'll be able to glass with binos and spotter while standing. Other than that, I feel the 14L fits my needs more. Decisions decisions...

Been busy and hunting, so I still have not pulled the trigger on a RRS setup yet. At this point the I'm only looking at the TFCT line with Anvil-30 head.

I don't like how long the 24L is folded and it's only 3 ounces less than the 34. Not sure 3 ounces is worth the stability trade off?
The 34L is just too big and heavy for my need.
The 33 is okay but a little long folded.
So I'm down to the 14L and the 34. About the same max height, the trade offs are... the 14L is about 1.5" shorter folded and 0.25" shorter in folded diameter, and about 1.25lbs lighter. Obviously, the 34 is more stable than the 14L in all positions so these would be the tradeoffs for the increased stability.

For you guys that have both or have seen both, which would you pick as your #1 for hunting shooting (sitting or kneeling) and glassing (sitting or kneeling) purposes? Maybe I should just order both and return one??

I've had them all. 34 over the 14 without a doubt. Stability trumps weight for me.
Thanks. In either no legs extended or only 1 leg extended positions, is the 34 still noticeably more stable than the 14L with a 10 pound rifle on it?