Experience with RRS Tripod Setups

I do. Not stable enough for me to shoot standing. Kneeling is fine with no legs extended and using an Anvil head. <edit> I did shoot an antelope at 350 yards standing. It was stable "enough" but I prefer more stability. I had to press the trigger when I "passed" the spot I wanted to hit. <edit>

Glassing is plenty stable unless you're putting a 95mm spotter on it and using it standing.

I do. Not stable enough for me to shoot standing. Kneeling is fine with no legs extended and using an Anvil head. <edit> I did shoot an antelope at 350 yards standing. It was stable "enough" but I prefer more stability. I had to press the trigger when I "passed" the spot I wanted to hit. <edit>

Glassing is plenty stable unless you're putting a 95mm spotter on it and using it standing.
I can say I've actually had to shoot fully standing up on a big hunt maybe 2 times in 25+ years. 98% of the time I'm prone, sitting, or a few kneeling. I really don't even like shooting standing up.

How tall are you and can you comfortably glass fully standing up with binos and your spotter off the TFCT-14L?

The 14L is roughly 60" tall which is about perfect me to glass with binos off the Ascend. I'm 5' 8".
Thanks. Good info to know. I'm assuming you were not using the center post to glass off?? I think that would add about 10" more to the 60" height.

Yeah, the Ascend head is better for glassing but sucks balls for shooting. It's not worth the weight savings for me if the only shot I get requires more stability.
That new TVC-22i looks pretty nice for shooting off while hunting but lacks height for glassing while standing. Definitely not a "perfect" setup exists having the best of all worlds. I'm still thinking the TFCT-14L might be my best bet... can glass standing decently and sufficiently stable to shoot off hunting while prone or sitting without extending all the legs.

I'm assuming you were not using the center post to glass off?

I don't use the center post in anything. Less rigid.

I've been thinking about the standing height (or lack of) with the 22i compact. With the Scout head at the approximate height standing (using my other tripods) I'd have to bend over to glass. It's doable but I wouldn't do it for extended periods of time. It would work in a Hunter match, too, but you're only looking for targets for a brief time.

When I've packed in to hunt I've done most of my glassing sitting which would work fine. If I have to raise it to standing I can do that briefly.

You're right, there's no perfect setup.

Last edited:
Received the 22i Compact. Full height with the Scout is 52.5". Any adapter such as the Outdoorsmans will add height. Note, I'm 5' 8". It's plenty high for me to bend over a little to glass at a Hunter match or for getting a range on an animal. It's perfect height for shooting while standing. I'd have to glass sitting for longer sessions.

That 22i compact is 3.5 lbs, then add an anvil 30 at basically 1 lb, your at 4.5lbs. A tfct 33 w anvil 30 is 4.7lbs, 34 is 4.8 lbs. Other than the 2 piece reverse leg set up, a 3x series is really no heavier and no advantage??

The 22i series is a series 2 apex and top legs with series 3 lower legs. The 22i is the most stable platform RRS makes if you ask them.

I will weigh the 34L and 22i Compact both with anvil heads and report back. The 22 feels substantially lighter in the hand but the scale won't lie.

These weights include the OBI strap, weight hook under the Anvil and fishing rod shrink wrap on the first section.

24i Compact - 4 lbs. 14 oz.
34L - 5 lbs. 11 oz.

Less than a pound difference. With the 34L you get a much taller tripod and is smaller in length when folded. With the 22i you get a much quicker to deploy and more sturdy tripod (fewer sections and leg locks) and the expense of less height.

All great information thanks for sharing! I wish I could just go test out all the different models locally with my rifle and glass and make a decision. IYO if you mount your rifle to the 22i and then to the 34L, is one noticeably more stable than the other? Standing or sitting? Thanks.

If you kick the 22i legs out one notch and shoot kneeling it's more stable than the 34L with no legs extended (roughly same height) but that's because the footprint of the 22i like that is huge.

I personally noticed a difference in stability between the two when shooting standing. I replaced the TFCT anvil apex on the 34L with a series 2 apex (anvil bolts right on) and the stability when standing is comparable.

If you kick the 22i legs out one notch and shoot kneeling it's more stable than the 34L with no legs extended (roughly same height) but that's because the footprint of the 22i like that is huge.

I personally noticed a difference in stability between the two when shooting standing. I replaced the TFCT anvil apex on the 34L with a series 2 apex (anvil bolts right on) and the stability when standing is comparable.
What's the difference between the stock 34L apex and the series 2? How old of a 34L is yours? Just trying to understand how my new 34 compares...

Mine's a Mark 2 like the new ones.

If you ordered it with the anvil attached (TFCT) it has a small apex dedicated to the anvil. When folded, the legs are parallel to each other. If you ordered a 34 with the versa apex you'd have received it with the series 3 apex which is much larger. The larger the apex the more stable the tripod. The series 2 apex is smaller in diameter. Both of those apex's result in the legs not being parallel when folded because the apex is larger in diameter.

It's real difficult to explain on this in a post. If you call the SOAR guys they'll explain it much better.