Experience with RRS Tripod Setups

Full Curl

Thinking about a new tripod for hunting shooting and glassing in that order. Want to keep things as simple as I can. Considering the following options from RRS coupled with their Anvil-30 head:

Ascend-14L (long platform)
Ascend-14L (long with small integrated ballhead)
TFCT-14L
TFCT-24L

I want a setup I can pack and also something I can quickly grab and go from the truck for a quick stalk. Also something I can use with my binoculars and spotter. Do I use the integrated ballhead on the Ascend-14L to glass from and then switch out to the Anvil-30 head to shoot from? Or do I just use the Anvil-30 to shoot and glass from?

I primarily shoot and glass from prone, sitting, and kneeling positions. All rifles are 10 pounds or less.

Any real benefits the TFCT-14L has over the Ascend-14L or vise-versa? Is the extra weight and size of the 24L worth the increased stability over the 14L? Like I said, I want to keep things simple and have a one and done setup.

Any experience with these setups or recommendation would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I've had every tripod RRS makes.

14 - Light and handy. Not the most stable to shoot from. Not the best for large binos or spotters.
3 series - Heavier. Fantastic stability for shooting and glassing.
2 series - Lighter than 3 series but plenty stable for glassing with spotters and shooting.

I've kept the 3 series tripods and use it for everything. I'd pack it in if I still packed in. It's worth the stability for the weight, for me.

I use the Anvil head for everything. I recently got their Scout glassing head and it works great with the anvil. Pop on the head, glass, pop off the head, clamp the gun in and shoot. The Anvil by itself leaves a lot to be desired for long glassing sessions.

There are less expensive tripods out there that come close to the stability of the RRS but they all weigh more.

I called in and talked to a RRS representative. I backpack hunt but not anything extreme at all. Glassing was first priority, with hunting and shooting following. I bought the TFCT MK2 34. I have not used it yet. First impressions were it was bigger and heavier than I expected but very very stable. I was coming from a vortex high country. I'm not sure how I'll like the anvil 30 for glassing, May opt for the scout. I bought the cinch for bino and I like that mount system. I figure I'll pack it this year hunting and into winter shooting off it at night. Worst case scenario it ends up being more of a dedicated night hunting and day range shooting platform and I'll buy an ascend for backpack hunting

14 - Light and handy. Not the most stable to shoot from. Not the best for large binos or spotters.
2 series - Lighter than 3 series but plenty stable for glassing with spotters and shooting.

I've kept the 3 series tripods and use it for everything. I'd pack it in if I still packed in. It's worth the stability for the weight, for me.

I use the Anvil head for everything. I recently got their Scout glassing head and it works great with the anvil. Pop on the head, glass, pop off the head, clamp the gun in and shoot. The Anvil by itself leaves a lot to be desired for long glassing sessions.

There are less expensive tripods out there that come close to the stability of the RRS but they all weigh more.
it looks like the ascend integrated ballhead would be slightly better for glassing than the Anvil. I wish you could quick swap the center column and an Anvil head on the ascend 14 series.

Yeah, the Ascend head is better for glassing but sucks balls for shooting. It's not worth the weight savings for me if the only shot I get requires more stability.

Thanks for the replies. RRS Series 3 tripods looks great and very stable, I just don't want something that large and heavy to pack. Always the trade off between stability, size, and weight. Maybe their Series 2 is the best compromise??

I have not seen the RRS PT-Scout pan head in person but it sounds really slick, especially if you can just clamp it on top of the Anvil and glass. I prefer a pan head for glass compared to a ball head anyway.

I called in and talked to a RRS representative. I backpack hunt but not anything extreme at all. Glassing was first priority, with hunting and shooting following. I bought the TFCT MK2 34. I have not used it yet. First impressions were it was bigger and heavier than I expected but very very stable. I was coming from a vortex high country. I'm not sure how I'll like the anvil 30 for glassing, May opt for the scout. I bought the cinch for bino and I like that mount system. I figure I'll pack it this year hunting and into winter shooting off it at night. Worst case scenario it ends up being more of a dedicated night hunting and day range shooting platform and I'll buy an ascend for backpack hunting
Yeah, I think I would have the same first impression as you as for the Series 3, just too big and heavy for my needs. But still a great and very stable tripod!

Thanks for the replies. RRS Series 3 tripods looks great and very stable, I just don't want something that large and heavy to pack. Always the trade off between stability, size, and weight. Maybe their Series 2 is the best compromise??

I have not seen the RRS PT-Scout pan head in person but it sounds really slick, especially if you can just clamp it on top of the Anvil and glass. I prefer a pan head for glass compared to a ball head anyway.
The TVC-24 seems to be the best compromise between stability and weight. However, they're closer in weight to the 3 series than the 1.

The Scout is pretty nice having Arca top and bottom.

I'm 6'1" and the 34 is tall enough to shoot standing and weighs nearly the same as the 24 version that might be a couple inches taller if I remember correctly but much more stable. I personally think it will be tall enough to also glass from although I am almost always sitting while glassing.

In my forum research it seemed like the experienced guys preferred the 3 series over the 2 series. The hard-core ounce counting backcountry hunter might prefer the ascend especially if glassing and not so much shooting off a tripod.

I just bought the 24L. It's a hair bigger than I hoped for, but not necessarily terrible. I still have my outdoorsmans which is my go to for packing.

It's a solid setup, but I need to get more use with it to decide if the investment was justified. We used it for my boy in shooting his first animal a few weeks back. The anvil head is awesome for shooting, but a little different for trying to glass with.

Good info. Thanks guys. I'm really thinking I'm going to find the 24/33/34 just too large for what I want to use this for. If I was match shooting competitively or glassing all day long I think it would be much different. I just want it to be good enough to shoot off while hunting and to glass from while hunting while also being compact enough I can toss it in my pack while hiking or carry it in a free hand while performing a stalk. It appears the TFCT-14L is a little more "beefy" than the Ascend-14L, so I've really been looking at that one. I do 90% of my shooting while hunting and glassing while hunting when I'm sitting.