Experience with 6.5-06 AI on elk sized game out to 400?

Put a break on it and leave it a 270. I have killed a semi load of elk with a 270. You sure aren't gaining anything in my opinion.
I do love the 270! My 14 year old shot his antelope with one just last weekend..
Real world, are the kids really into this gun gack stuff or is it you? Meaning do they care enough to be into loading etc or do they just want to go elk hunting from time to time?

I ask this as if it's the former I could maybe see going with the 6.5/06 but most kids just aren't into it and it's a whole easier to hit the easy button and go .270.

I've used them both and have seen them both used a ton load on elk, and smaller big game like deer and lopes and there just isn't a bit of difference between the 3 especially to 400 yards.

I'd go with the easy button and get them a .270.

Best of luck to you

I need to rebarrel my Tikka t3 (see other thread) and shifting between my old faithful 270 and the 6.5-06, or 6.5-06 AI. It would primarily be for my kids in their teens, so the lighter bullet might feel a bit better.

Any thoughts on this round for elk? Actual harvest experience? And if so, with what bullet?

Best,

Cedar
I am a .270 fan, just curious about the reason that you just don't keep the rifle in .270 and load lighter bullets to practice with and go heavier when elk hunting? Form your post it appears that you reload, it seems like everyone forgets that cartridges can be "down loaded" as well as get "maximum" velocities out of their reloads. As for bullets and their availability, "ANY" configuration/brand/style bullet that you can find for the 6.5 caliber you will be able to find for the .277 caliber. There's a lot to be said about accuracy ("that" we all strive for) but......there's also a lot to be said about sight acquisition, trigger time and just plain getting used to the ergonomics of the rifle. For the 6.5 Ackley Improved, it too is a great cartridge, however for me I find fire-forming brass a bit time consuming and a PITA at times. I have two rifles built on Ruger 77 actions in .270 Ackley Improved, they both shoot really well, and ballistics are great, however I think if I had it to do over again I would build them in .270 Winchester short magnum just due to eliminate the fire-forming process. I can eek out a little more velocity from the Ackley Improved over the .270 WSM, however I do not believe that it's worth the difference in time and the work put into fire forming brass.

Keep it .270, for an easy solution practice with downloaded 130 Grain to 2650/2700 fps or so. Or buy the Hornady Lite factory loads- they recoil like a 243. Reload them to full house 130 -150 Grain Copper or bonded bullet loads for elk. I did this a few years ago for my 13 year old daughter. Never told her the loads were different. Some things in life you do not notice are happening. Recoil from a rifle when shooting your first bull elk is one. I dropped the light loads when she was 15 to not have not re zero etc and she was totally fine with it.

I need to rebarrel my Tikka t3 (see other thread) and shifting between my old faithful 270 and the 6.5-06, or 6.5-06 AI. It would primarily be for my kids in their teens, so the lighter bullet might feel a bit better.

Any thoughts on this round for elk? Actual harvest experience? And if so, with what bullet?

Best,

Cedar

I'd not brake any rifle, but especially a kid's rifle. Just me and how I did it.
There is no wrong answer. Big fan of the 6.5-06. Hunted with it for 30 years and even took it to Africa shooting Elk size game. Shot placement and bullet performance is everything. With a 130 Gr Scirocco I wouldn't hesitate to go after moose.
Easy to load for and a vast array of Bullets to choose from.

I stand too be corrected on the 137 gr hammer that's the only 6.5 cal bullet I know of that requires a faster twist than 1-7.5 the 131 requires a 1-7.5 the 139 gr actually 140 gr and the134 gr shock hammer require a 1-8 twist the 1-7.5 twist will cover the others except the 137 gr they have so many good options it's hard too keep up
The 131 is a laser beam death ray. That is what I run in one of my 1:7.5" 6.5SSs, 20" bbl @ 3160fps. The 129 Absolute Hammer in the other one, 26" 1:7.5" @ 3370fps.

I'd not brake any rifle, but especially a kid's rifle. Just me and how I did it.
I put a brake on my .300RUM and my 11 year old daughter shot her first bull with it. 175 SMK @ 3080 (reduced load), and it was one of the fastest kills I have ever seen. (You can see the bull down right above the scope through the trees).
20141130_101658_zpsgbpqvtmi.jpg

20141130_103528_zpsb91e2571.jpg

20141130_103233-1.jpg

I have no first hand experience, so please let my opinion be the last thing you consider, I have only killed a small Bull elk with a .270 Weatherby Mag, using a 150 Grn Speer Grand Slam ( 1980 ) . However just recently , on "Steve's Outdoor Adventures" Steve, himself , shot a Bull Elk at 220 yards with a 6.5 Creedmoor. I was shocked !!! I could not even believe he would hunt elk with that cartridge , but he shot the elk and killed it . So I guess if a round as " Mild " as that round can take elk at modest ranges, your other 6.5's should be able to handle the job very well, with the correct bullet. Or let the kids use the 270 Win. with a 150 Grn partition. IMHO