6.5-284 on deer sized game..

300R

Hi Guy's i have recently sold some rifle's, i currently have a 300rum and 338Lapua but i am looking to build a more portable non magnum deer rifle.The deer i hunt down here in oz are fallow which are about equal to the size of whitetail,my question is how would the 6.5-284 handle these deer at extended ranges and how far could i expect to shoot from with a well placed shot.The rifle will be built on a lawton 7500 action which i have just received and will have a barrel length of 28" in a light profile,i would love to hear your experiences with this caliber and recommended bullets to use.Thanks in advance.

Wow, thanks Ed, that certainly gives me some confidence in the caliber.:D

Hello.

The 6,5-284 with the amax 140 should get you well past 800 yds. The Berger is a tougher bullet in my experience, so for not heavier game I would use the amax, although its BC is lower than the berger´s.

I have tried the berger in a red deer, dropped it in its tracks but it was a close shot, offhand while it was going through the bush, so not very informing for LR purposes.

I have shot lots of medium game with the amax and the berger, and the terminal ballistics of the amax are better for me, the berger seemed to be too tough for animals weighing up to 90lbs, meaning the expansion and shock was far more noticeable with the amax.

For a bigger dear such as elk, I would rather use the berger.

.. and you could also consider a straight .284 win. The 7mm 162g amax has an impressive BC, you will get longer barrel life also , and ballistics , based on this better BC, are also possibly better than in the 6,5-284.

Hi, thanks guys really appreciate the info, 140amax and berger seem the way to go and i am glad to hear they both work well,have any of you ever tried hornady's 6.5-284 brass my local shop has them at a very cheap price.thanks again fellas.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.