Erik Cortina is going to do the Backfire challenge

as much as folks want to hate on it, it seems to me that the spirit of the challenge is to have people do some level of real world testing on their ability to reliably shoot variable distances at range.

The barrel heating dilemma is huge, but barring that (say you had the time to take cold bore shots only) it would be good practice and a good gut check for most shooters to see if they can hit a relatively small target at a variety of distances. No it's not an analogue for hunting, and each shooter should make their own judgement of their skill set after shooting, but I would expect many many shooters would walk into a challenge like this expecting to hit 80+%, and would walk out hitting well under half.

One would hope that it would make folks evaluate how reliably they can make a long range shot on an animal, and potentially some who should not be trying long range shots would be dissuaded from doing so. Or, at least convinced to practice more until they could reliably hit more

Ill way in, the original statement on his Halloween pod cast (according to him) was 100% of shots on game, not 100 shots.

So…,,,,
Just to clarify the host said no one could make 100% shots on game?

Ill way in, the original statement on his Halloween pod cast (according to him) was 100% of shots on game, not 100 shots.

So…,,,,
Below is the transcript ...
1711667817404.png

1711667947694.png

You're right; it does not matter. And we all need to move on.

Yeah he talks about people who take 800 yard-100 yard shots on game at the 13 second mark.

Well anyone can go back and listen to the video from the start and make note beginning at the 13 second mark. Whatever they decide after that is fine by me.

I mean, it tracks.. IF people can't get really close to 100% hits at that range. Which most data points to people being wildly over gunned and wildly under practiced.
Like I said before 100 rounds isn't realistic, especially in one day. The heat alone will negatively affect accuracy. And the test isn't realistic to the goal which is cold bore hits on game. Make a target the size that fits the big game's vitals and then do a coldbore test/ challenge. That type of test I'd agree would be beneficial. And we should test ourselves. I do whenever I can. But I know sitting and shooting 100 rounds doesn't prove jack. It's not realistic to field hunting conditions.