Erik Cortina is going to do the Backfire challenge

Cool story. I hunted with most of my AI's but I wouldn't call them hunting rifles.

Also at least one state has a maximum weight of what a hunting rifle can weigh (Idaho at 16lbs), so….
It was a cool story.
So you want showcase restrictions that ONE STATE uses as justification for a legal weight limitation that is typically self imposed anyway?

Ohio still requires strait wall cartridges....Sooooooooooooo!?!?!?
Should we just put that requirement on EC as well? See...doesn't make any sense does it?

There have been pictures. Videos those guys are doing are for their business, monetized. Pictures/ reports on here have been for either bragging rights, or to help educate people on what to do.
The criticism was with the OP's post and the other BTV videos if anyone here can do better than them, then they should do so and share. I cannot, so I have no business criticizing their livelihood, period.

It was a cool story.
So you want showcase restrictions that ONE STATE uses as justification for a legal weight limitation that is typically self imposed anyway?

Ohio still requires strait wall cartridges....Sooooooooooooo!?!?!?
Should we just put that requirement on EC as well? See...doesn't make any sense does it?
We could just do the honor system and report what the weight/ specs of the rifle and ammo are. A real challenge is just an individual test to see what we are capable of. And maybe expose areas where we can improve.

We could just do the honor system and report what the weight/ specs of the rifle and ammo are. A real challenge is just an individual test to see what we are capable of. And maybe expose areas where we can improve.
Agreed 100%.

Just like EC said in the video, and I'll paraphrase.
Taking the 600 yd shot is not unethical per say...but being capable, and selecting the best equipment for the task is paramount.
Put the proper equipment in the first guys hand, would have made a HUGE difference. May not have made him ABLE, but it would have made a huge difference.
Put the same unbraked, light weight, factory rifle in EC's hand and it may have ended the same way.

The criticism was with the OP's post and the other BTV videos if anyone here can do better than them, then they should do so and share. I cannot, so I have no business criticizing their livelihood, period.
And my contention is his challenge is it isn't a true test of LR hunting abilities. It's a test set up for the shooter to fail. That's why it's set up for 100 rounds. I don't know of many barrels that can shoot 100 consecutive rounds and not suffer some accuracy changes. The gallon is smaller than the vitals of big game. And then the shooter was given ammo to shoot, that's an unknown variable. In any case I say that the challenge isn't a good challenge for hunters. Erik saying right off the get go that he doesn't expect to pass is a red flag.

And my contention is his challenge is it isn't a true test of LR hunting abilities. It's a test set up for the shooter to fail. That's why it's set up for 100 rounds. I don't know of many barrels that can shoot 100 consecutive rounds and not suffer some accuracy changes. The gallon is smaller than the vitals of big game. And then the shooter was given ammo to shoot, that's an unknown variable. In any case I say that the challenge isn't a good challenge for hunters. Erik saying right off the get go that he doesn't expect to pass is a red flag.
It does not matter what I feel, it's what he wants to do, regardless of the outcome.

The best part about having the equipment to make the shot and the skill to make the shot is the WISDOM when NOT TO SHOOT.
All this talk about calm wind bla bla bla...or shifty, gusty wind bla bla bla.
Guess what.

Calm or at least consistent wind WITH the ability to get down on a bipod and pack...I take that shot 90% of the time.
Gusty or unpredictable wind with no ability to build a solid, repeatable shooting position. DON'T TAKE THE SHOT.

So to have the test be 100/100 rounds on target is absolutely dumb to consider that "hunting" because you're being forced to take a shot that you may otherwise had never even considered taking

So to have the test be 100/100 rounds on target is absolutely dumb as **** to consider that "hunting" because you're being forced to take a shot that you may otherwise have never even considered taking
That was one of my criticisms of the BF challenge. The hunter always gets the choice whether to take the shot or not.

It does not matter what I feel, it's what he wants to do, regardless of the outcome.
Ok, not what that means since I never said anything about feelings. In any case 100 round shooting test isn't realistic accuracy criteria since we as hunters never shoot 100 rounds at game, not would we get a chance to. Cold bore shots are a more realistic test. Follow up running shots might be a test too as it's something we do IRL. Although I don't suggest to make up a challenge on game/ animals for this. It's more of a valuable skill set just in case. If someone had moving targets then that's fine. Or tire set ups like Jack O Conner wrote about.

Ok, not what that means since I never said anything about feelings. In any case 100 round shooting test isn't realistic accuracy criteria since we as hunters never shoot 100 rounds at game, not would we get a chance to. Cold bore shots are a more realistic test. Follow up running shots might be a test too as it's something we do IRL. Although I don't suggest to make up a challenge on game/ animals for this. It's more of a valuable skill set just in case. If someone had moving targets then that's fine. Or tire set ups like Jack O Conner wrote about.
It is no different of me not asking what rifle to build or buy. It's what he wants to do, period.

Moving on...

Erik should simply state which shots he would not take on an animal and fire away at a milk jug "just because" that is part of the challenge. He's a champion in events and I noticed his range reference; his personal hunting yardage limits are the maximum range here as well. I think it suits him and his abilities and to show he's human too.

Recent Posts