ER Shaw Barrels

rdsii64

When it comes to barrel makers every thing I can find to read says that ER Shaw is at the bottem of the heap. They are sot of like the Barska and BSA of barrel makers. My question is are they really that bad and if so, are are they still better than a facory barrel.

Also, does anyone know why they don't guarentee their barrels.

I got a 6mm Ackley Shaw barrel as a gift. It has FAR exceeded expectations. I've shot it to 1000 yards many times, with lots of sub moa groups, and once at 1100 yards I did 4 shots in a row in about 5 inches.

i was fourtunate in getting an invitation to the shot show this year.
e.r. shaw had a large display there, and i spent considerable time talking with a rep.
i was told their main market is gun manufacturers.
ive only known a few whove owned their barrels, but none complained about them.
they are also building rifles on savage actions.
i believe 26" is the max on barrel legnth. they do offer chambering services, and have a large selection of cartridges to choose from.

I have a 15 inch shaw barrel on my .338JDJ Contender and out of a clean barrel I can put my first 2 shots touching at 200 yds with 180gr. nosler ballistic tips. My longest big game kill was an antelope at 429 yds.
I was at the range one day and 2 older benchrest shooters ( with their bull barrel 220 swifts ) that were also shooting at 200 yds were watching me clean the gun. Then I took a couple shots and went down range to check my target and they asked if they could come along. They were courious why I was shooting a pistol at 200 yds. I told them I was getting ready to go back to wyoming antelope hunting. Then they looked at my target and said if they didn't watch me with their own eyes, NO WAY could I convince them that I could do that.
Guess Shaw barrels are OK in my book.
Just my .02
Tarey

I have a 15 inch shaw barrel on my .338JDJ Contender and out of a clean barrel I can put my first 2 shots touching at 200 yds with 180gr. nosler ballistic tips. My longest big game kill was an antelope at 429 yds.
I was at the range one day and 2 older benchrest shooters ( with their bull barrel 220 swifts ) that were also shooting at 200 yds were watching me clean the gun. Then I took a couple shots and went down range to check my target and they asked if they could come along. They were courious why I was shooting a pistol at 200 yds. I told them I was getting ready to go back to wyoming antelope hunting. Then they looked at my target and said if they didn't watch me with their own eyes, NO WAY could I convince them that I could do that.
Guess Shaw barrels are OK in my book.
Just my .02
Tarey

So after those two shots, what happens? Do you get major fliers? If you keep cleaning between shots, can you consistently place them in the same POA?

Tank

I can keep them in an inch, maybe it is me cause the gun kicks pretty good.
My theory is you are going to be killing your animal out of a cold clean barrel, so those first 2 shots keep me on a positive note that I can hit what I am aining at.
Tarey

Though I have never owned one and never will,I have had lots of e-mails from folks wanting to know if they should send the barrel back, have someone handlap the bore, run abrasive bullets etc?

Are they a good barrel? That question need not be asked of a Kreiger,Benchmark,Hart,Lilja and others. Name brand barrel makers stand behind their product! There is a reason that this barrel maker is way cheaper than anyone. Bet it is not because of them putting time and effort into a top quality match grade product.

Hammer

Howdy,

I'll tell you my experience with E. R. Shaw barrels. Had two, both "shot out" in under 800 rounds.
My well meaning sons gave me a couple Shaw barrels. I barreled them up to a Rem. 700 and Mauser 98 action respectively. The mauser, caliber .22-250 never ever shot under an inch, and after 200 rounds would not group under 2 inches.... and yes the barrel was cleaned properly with Kroil and Butch's. The Rem. 700 was barreled in .280 Rem. and shot wonderfuly for 200 rounds. I could average 1/2 inch or better with several different loads. Gradually, it began to loose its edge and after 400 rounds I could feel tight and loose spots in the barrel as I cleaned it. I had shot some moly coated bullets through it (about 79 rounds) and thought that might be the culprit, but a close examination with a bore scope showed that the cleaning method was sound, but that the metal was not homoginous in several places along the bore. In two places the rifling had almost worn away, and another place was so rough that iit seemed tight as the patches went through it. I shot it another hundred rounds or so and rebarreled the action with another barrel from a different manufacturer. The new barrel does not shoot 1/2 inch groups, but it shoots .600" groups consistently and feels great with the cleaning rod and patches. It is just more consistent. The bore scope shows a very smooth and homoginous bore. Just to make this short, I won't use another Shaw barrel.

Coach

Oh, these barrels were manufactured after their so called re-tooling several years ago. I think their metal is just not the quality that the other barrel makers use!

Coach

I have done a number of rifles with Shaw barrels. Back then I could get them in quantity for about $60 each I think. For hunting accuracy they all shot very well. Some shot outstanding. They are very rough when you recieve them and there is much extra work to finish out these barrels in comparison to top end barrels. For what a smith will charge you to finish out a shaw barrel you will not save any money so go top end. I think they are over $200 now and they are not worth that much.

I guess you think those Hart and Pac/Nor barrels will out shoot my good Shaw barrel? Probably will, mine will shoot moa use to shoot bug holes several hundred rounds ago too many 4200fps'
down the tube lots of dead whitetails though...What was that fellows name that headspaced my 6/06 A.I.?

Norm Thompson in Colorado Springs is your man. I think both of us have Shaw barrels that will shoot with anything anywhere. Remember the 257 STW I had that shot one hole groups with the variable twist rifling. Started off slow, got fast in the middle, then slowed down toward the end. That was E. R. Shaw barrel. Not good quality control but it shot.

I have a Shaw barrel on a Savage action 7mm Rem mag. I've yet to dial it in with the Berger VLD's that will be it's diet for LRH, but I have no complaints as to the barrel's quality. I "got it on paper" with another round and it shoots well. I think the proof is when I put some quality bullets through it and that will probably expose any barrel shortcomings. I honestly have not shot any other rifle with a custom barrel except for my National Match M1 Garand with a Douglas barrel on it. I am probably not the best judge of barrel quality since most of the rifles I have shoot beyond my current abilities, but I cannot fault the Shaw barrel I am currently using. Your milage may vary:D.

PS: It was the barrel on the rifle when I acquired it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.