Entry level Bow?

^^^^^
Guys turn over the newest greatest bow every year like some golfers do with clubs. If its not new for the season they feel odd. Great deals can be had!
I look at ebay alot for bows, I can save some $$ on unused bows even more on used bows and do my own setup

I'm in Reno too, there are a few bow shops to check out. I've had work done at one and they were very friendly. Solohntr has a shop I've really wanted to check out. Scheels and sportsmans have good shops but I stay away from cabelas. They all have decent stuff and you can find a good entry level bow. Some used options too but either way make sure you're set up with a bow that fits and feels right for you.

for practicing, if you didn't already know, there is an awesome county range between Lemmon valley and antelope valley. It's free and there are targets of different distances and elevations.

Last edited:
I look at ebay alot for bows, I can save some $$ on unused bows even more on used bows and do my own setup

I say be careful because the one time I decided to buy an new/unused Hoyt Alphaburner on ebay back when they were new I had problems. The bow ended up being stollen equipment from a big box store in Ohio along with about $70k+ worth of other gear. The warehouse manager had been stealing product and selling it on ebay. I was probably 17 or 18 and had to give a sworn statement, send in the bow as evidence, etc. Hoyt actually sent me a brand new replacement bow, and the big box store sent me a care package for my part, but it would have been an avoidable situation if I had just gone to my proshop in the first place.

My dad gave me his Mathews after it was recovered from the same deal. The buyer thought the price odd so it was reported. Dad got his bow back. The rest of his belongings that were stolen were long gone.

Yes there are the setup issues to get everything right for you. I can't help but suggest you check the used market before going all-in.

The value of used bows drops like a rock after a few years. I had a top of the line Matthews bow from years ago, I ended up giving it to an new shooter. You can always take a used bow, within reason, to a shop for final setup, as needed.

Starting out at 65, I just wouldn't be dropping $800+ to try out bow shooting.

Last edited:
Bows are the worst buy in all of hunting and shooting I think, behind underwear, socks and boots only probably in used value. I haven't bought a new bow since maybe 2002ish. The good news is that fresh used bows are really decent buys for a guy that is going to used them for a year or three. 30-50% off last years top bows is pretty common from what I see.

Taking a used bow into a shop for help can be hit or miss, neither one of the archery shops near me will give one squirt of pee toward helping a used bow that is a brand that they don't sell, they will spend more time telling you how you can't get help with it than they will doing what you need done to it. Last time I went to the bow shop was to get a string twisted to straighten the peep a little and order a new string and cable set, I got a lecture on how they can't get parts for my bow as he twisted the string and he flat told me they don't get strings from Gas or ABB for my brand bow. This was one of the owners. Both make strings daily for my brand, and probably multiples per day. Whizzed me off and I ordered a bow press when I got home. Guess where I will NEVER buy anything again?

If you get hooked, and I don't understand how you wouldn't if you like shooting, start gathering the tools and knowledge to set your own stuff up, make your own simple to moderate repairs like string and cable replacements etc and you will be well ahead of the guy that can't take care of his own gear.

if your time allows....build one from a kit.....
you,ll learn more.... appreciate it more..... and it will help you decide the next step.....
Bow hunting makes you a better hunter..clears your mind..... gets you outa the kitchen.
I,ve taken deer with recurves,componds and x bow.....
I like my old Bear grizzly recurve best..... it,s nice and lite....they gotta be less than 30yds..... and you get to watch more... learn their habits...learn when to move...etc.etc.etc.
bill

Yes there are the setup issues to get everything right for you. I can't help but suggest you check the used market before going all-in.

The value of used bows drops like a rock after a few years. I had a top of the line Matthews bow from years ago, I ended up giving it to an new shooter. You can always take a used bow, within reason, to a shop for final setup, as needed.

Starting out at 65, I just would be dropping $800+ to try out bow shooting.
I disagree.....
kits are alot less exspensive..... and you will learn more...... I,ve got a friend that makes port orchard cedar arrows..... ...seldom hunts....works of art.... so beautiful it,s a shame to hunt with them.But I do....
bill

Just more food for thought
I did NOT read thru all reply's here so sorry is this is being restated, I am sorry!

but typically for NEW bow shooters,
when picking a bow,
starting off with a bow with a longer brace height and an over all LONGER bow, (wheel to wheel) typically helps a new shooter learn to shoot better faster, there more forgiving bows, less effected by poor form

as new shooters typically are not experienced in form or shootinga bow, , so starting out with a model bow that has more or less built in forgiveness is a BIG perk to have, as it can build confidence faster and that allows for one to want to do better and or shoot more often!

Most modern Hunting bows and even target bow's m, are more focused on speed and other features, to help experienced bow shooters, not so forgiving to NEW comers to this sport!

I would also recommend starting off with less poundage bows, all the more so since the OP states they are more interested for NOW< in target shooting!
just cause a bow has less LB's or speed, doesn;t mean there not as accurate, and they are easier for most ALL new shooters to learn on when things are easier for them, they will see better results faster

and best advice for a NEW shooter is learn GOOD form from the get go, its a lot easier to learn something right the first time, than trying to break bad habits later on!

You could look for an older Mathews like the LX in your draw length. Or just buy the appropriate cam from Mathews. I can't remember how much it was but that's what I did with the bow my dad gave me but I remember it was cheap. Also I haven't had any trouble at all finding shops that would/could get parts or work on it as some had experienced.

I think a person or 5 may have mentioned visiting a good archery shop.

Another good place to try out new equipment is outdoor shows.
Many of the top line manufacturers bring their stuff out for you to look at and try out.
Bear in mind it won't be set up specifically for you, but you get to feel how the let offs for different bows and brands feel.

As mentioned, the longer bows are more forgiving.

And there are other bow manufacturers out there besides Hoyt, Mathews, and PSE.

I have & shoot a circa 1992 Golden Eagle Hawk Carbine.

My newest, most often grabbed hunting bow is a Canadian manufacturer named APA.
I have their Viper Air set up for 50# draw weight.

My wife is shooting an old Bear with a 35# draw weight.

Daughter traded in her Weatherby Vangard i got her when she decided she wanted to hunt with me, on a Diamond Infinite Edge set at 35#.
She went with that bow as it has a huge adjustability in draw length & draw weight.
She's 6'3" with a 31" draw length.
After going to an outdoor show with me a few years ago, she ordered an APA Mamba with 50# draw weight.
The difference in cams allows her to still easily draw it.

Had my daughter not gone to the show, she would have never known about that bow, or that she'd be able to shoot it.

Bows are getting ridiculously priced as is everything else. A great way to start as mentioned is to hook up with a serious shooter. get as much help from them and they may have an old bow all set up you can start with. My son wanted to start shooting and one of our friends sold me a set up Bear compound, site, quiver, carbon arrows, rest and stabilizer for $75. I have been a Mathews, then Bowtech shooter for years but this 10 year old Bear actually shoots and feels great. I wouldn't worry about taking it on any hunt.
You can always upgrade but hard to loose money on a $75 bow set up. They are out there especially when some people have to have the newest model at all times. Each year there is a new model but usually it is years before there is a major change.