Entrance hole only on Coyotes

Mule

Coyote/fox hunters

Which 22 bullets will drop a C dog but not exit or blow out half the side and is there a rule of thumb on velocity threasholds for this to happen realiably.

Thanks

Mule

I know that I had a 17HMR made by hornady...I think that it was the 17gr Ballistic tip...go into a full pop can on the side and not exit anywhere. Just a 1 1/2" hole in the side, this was one of the reasons I didn't trust it to kill anything bigger than a bluejay. I think that the speed and the light bullet combo would cause this...maybe the 40 Ballistic tip from Nosler?

Joe Oakes

The lighter for caliber bullets at high speeds usually dont exit. Kinda depends where you hit them and how far still...

I use to shoot the 40g VLC out of a 220 swift at 4550fps and they did not exit untill the range was about 250 yards and further.

I"ve also used the 40g vmax/NBT at 3600fps out of a .222 at ranges to 300 yards, and get exits 1/2 the time..

You'll get entrance wounds that are typically as big as exit wounds with these, but they still drop coyotes..

Hey, check out the 60 gr v-max. Shooting a heavier bullet at slower velocity has proven to be a very reliable coyote killer. These 60 grainers really anchor those yotes. The last couple yotes I shot only had a tiny entrance wound and no exit. They shoot pretty flat too. Good luck!

[ QUOTE ]
Coyote/fox hunters

Which 22 bullets will drop a C dog but not exit or blow out half the side and is there a rule of thumb on velocity thresholds for this to happen reliably.
Thanks
Mule

[/ QUOTE ]

Your're looking for the "Holy Grail" of bullets, and arguably there isn't such a bullet.

If you can control your hits well, then the light 40 grain plastic tipped bullets like the BlitzKing and V-Max are great... but hit a shoulder and they splash and make a mess.

Use heavier bullets on the shoulder and they work great, but hit soft tissue, and they go right through, and rip up the other side.

The folks that love to collect hides swear by the original 17 Remington.

Go to:

http://www.coyotegods.com

... and ask them. That site is probably the best when you want to save pelts. But be warned, they are "very weird" over there.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts