Elk Load

Butte Sink

Hello All,
Let me get your opinion on which load to go with.
Put these together during the week and went out yesterday and shot with a Magneto.
Terrible excuse but I'm just kind of press for time and need to nail this load down, **** work thing getting in the way. I want to lock this in, call it good and just figure a seating depth that looks good.

280 AI-
160 Nosler AB
Nosler Brass
215GM
H4831SC @ 58.5
ES 12
SD 4.8
I like the above, just a little concerned about the velo. I'm letting my son use this gun, his first Elk hunt and I'm use to my 300 RUM

OR

All the above except
RL22 59.4
ES 36
SD 14.5

Gut tells me we would be fine with H4831SC :)

This is my 300 RUM load
210 Berger VLD Hunt
Nosler Brass
215GM
Retumbo 90.9
ES 5.3
SD 12

All clacs above taking with 5 shot, so I'm sure number would change with a larger spread but for hunting load I like what I see.
As far as accuracy, we'll find out this coming week!!

Last edited:
As long as they are all within safe pressure limits and you have no time to actually work up the load then going with the one that groups the tightest at all ranges you expect to hunt. Velocity & sd mean nothing if they don't shoot tight groups. If none of them do reduce your range or try some factory loads.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.