.25-06 elk load

I know I'm coming into this late, I've been using the 25-06 for more than 20 years, we have Sambar deer here, they run about as heavy as an elk cow (600lbs), I've found the 115gr Partition to be outstanding on these. Shots behind the shoulder have been bang flop, but, admittedly, these have hit the spine as well as both lungs.
The 120gr Partition hasn't penetrated as far with the same shot placement, often only taking one lung and stopping in the vertabrae, why, I cannot explain.
I would not hesitate taking any bull elk with a 115gr Partition. I run RL25 @ 57gr in Rem brass and WLRM primers, velocity is 3266fps.

Cheers.
gun)

Thank you for your input.
Bakercity

You could always Ackley Improve it, too...And pick up significant velocity increases, better case life, and less brass growth. :D

Magnum - 3266fps in a standard 25-06 is smokin. How long is the barrel on that thing?

Barrelnut, my rifle is a standard blued Ruger M77 MKII with the 'magnum' contour in 24", the max load I worked up to produced 3076fps @ 61, 488psi, this is why I dropped back to the 57gr load @ 58, 370psi. This barrel has a chamber .001" above SAAMI minimum, barrel has been hand lapped by myself and it SHOOTS, 1/4 MoA is not uncommon with this rifle and 100gr BT's, under MoA is easy with little effort. The rifle isn't stock, it has been glass and pillar bedded, free floated from 2" forward of the recoil lug and a T-Bone tweaked Timney trigger @1 1/4 lbs.
I had a Win Model 70 and a Rem Sendero, neither shot like this rifle, I sold the 70, it had a lot of the New Haven problems, the Sendero I re-barrelled to 6.5-284 Norma, it's my short F-Class rifle. I still have that 25-06 barrel I took off, don't know if I will ever do anything with it, it has a large chamber that shot like crap.

Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.