.25-06 elk load

bakercity

For the past 30 yrs. I have hunted with a rem. bdl. mod 700 .25-06. I have always loaded speer 120 grain bullets. Would barnes tsx in 115 grain be acceptable for elk or would the 100 grainers be the way to go 200 to 300 yds in open country? Thanks for your input.
Bakercity

Why not a 120 gr Speer grand slam or a Nosler partition ? I'm fond of 115 gr partitions

I'm sure several will say use more gun and all , but my response is strictly in answer to the question posed .

Why not a 120 gr Speer grand slam or a Nosler partition ? I'm fond of 115 gr partitions

I'm sure several will say use more gun and all , but my response is strictly in answer to the question posed .

What's up Josh? Good to see you back on here.

I agree with jmd025, that the heavier bullets would be your best option for something as big as elk. I've never shot an elk, but been told they are pretty tough, but I have also read alot of people having very good success killing them with smaller calibers, and that the key to dropping an elk quickly is with good shot placement (once again, no personal experience, just what I've read). I've also read to choose a really tough bullet, like a mono or a bonded bullet that holds together.

If I were to shoot an elk with my .25-06 AI, I would most-likely stick with my tried and true load that uses Berger 115 VLD's, and just place my shot through both the lungs, which, if you get both lungs in 1 shot, you're guaranteed to take the "wind out of his sails". How far he'll run... Well, nobody knows that. Every animal reacts differently when shot.

For the past 30 yrs. I have hunted with a rem. bdl. mod 700 .25-06. I have always loaded speer 120 grain bullets. Would barnes tsx in 115 grain be acceptable for elk or would the 100 grainers be the way to go 200 to 300 yds in open country? Thanks for your input.
Bakercity

Have you taken an elk with your 25-06?

I have a 25-06 but have only taken deer and antelope with it. I use the Nosler 110 Accubond. It is accurate and has done well for me out to 350 yards.

In the end I don't think you could beat 120 Speers.

I agree with Mudrunner use the Berger 115 VLD.

While I haven't taken elk with the 115 VLD, my friend has taken six with his 257 Weatherby as far out as 600 yards. I realize your 25-06 is slower than the 257 Weatherby. You should get similar performance at closer distances.

John Barsness wrote an article on the 115's performance in New Zealand. Walt Berger shot a red stag with his cooper 257 Roberts @ 2900 fps muzzle velocity:

"The stag stood just under 200
yards away, angling slightly toward
us. The ideal shot would be
tight behind the shoulder. At the
report I saw dust puff about 10
inches behind the shoulder, and
the stag humped up and started
walking very slowly toward the
timber, 70 yards away. Walt's
.257 was a single-shot Cooper
bolt action, so I started to raise
my .30-06. I never even got the
stag in the scope before it fell
dead, about 15 feet from where it
had been shot.
It turned out the bullet had
turned the liver into liver-burger,
then gone on and shredded the
rear half of the lung beyond. Walt
knew it was a "bad" shot and was
ticked at himself, but the stag
died within seconds."

link to article: http://www.bergerbullets.com/articles/john-barsness-berger-bullets.pdf

Bakercity

Have you taken an elk with your 25-06?

I was wondering about that too! Definitely not my 1st/personal choice of taking down an elk.

Please, no disrespect. But, I can not for the life of me wonder why...People want to go after these magnificent animals with smaller calibers. Will they kill an elk? Sure they will, if everything is just right. I lived in Wyoming for 16 years and hunted elk for 15 of them. I'm sorry but , for me, elk cartridges start at 7mm.

Young daughter of a very good friend hunted deer and elk on their private land for years with a .243, took many and had no problems. She was a good shot. I would not recommend a .243 in general, but a good shot willing to pass bad options had no problems.

Thank you all for responses to my original post concerning question about .25-06 bullet for elk. Some of you responded with your own question. In this post I answer your question(s).
1. Have you killed any elk with your .25? Yes, I have at less than 100 yds.

My OP is only because I am hunting this year in open, sage country and any shots will likely be greater range than hunting in timber. I am looking for a possible "better bullet" for open country.

Once again, thank you all for your responses.

Bakercity

Bakercity

I have a friend who hunts three states for elk every year. One of the guys uses a .25-06 and 100 grain Barnes. He once shot a five point bull in the left ham and found the bullet under the hide in front of the right shoulder. The range was fifty yards. You should have no problem with a Barnes 100 grainer. He also took a spike at 410 yards. It was a drop at the shot kill.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts