Building an Elk Load - 7mm08

I've thought it was excessive also, but I wouldn't know what to look at. Too much freebore, headspace, leade angle, bore diameter, ...? Thoughts?
There could be a bunch of variable. Is it a new barrel? Maybe the bore is slightly on the large side of spec. Some barrels are just slow. All that matters is does the cartridge/ load fit your needs.

Great info guys. I really appreciate the opinions and info. Lots to digest and consider.

Just to clarify, my Tikka 7-08 is the gun I use for my kiddos and although not necessarily poking elk at 500, I'd like to have a load that is capable. I've got heavier calibers in the safe, but really love the compact size of this gun and light recoil. Since its so light and nimble, I often find myself grabbing it for deep backcountry trips as well.

After reading through all the comments, I'm thinking about starting out with Barnes 145 LRX with some Ram Shot Big Game or StaBall 6.5. Velocities appear to be a little higher with these powders, but we'll see what kind of velocities and groups I'm getting with the shorter barrel on this gun. Looks like I should be able to achieve MV between 2800-2900fps.

If I'm seeing low velocities, I might jump down to the Barnes 139 LRX or try some different powder, but would like to try 140+gr bullets first.
I just got done with group testing 140 Absolute Hammers over IMR 4895. Velocity was good but I didn't find very good groups in my 22" Browning X Bolt with 9.5 twist. I ordered more and will try them with some slower powders, once I can find them. I use my 7mm-08 as back for my 7mm Rem Mag when I hunt Elk. I would have no problem taking any elk with it as long as my down range velocity stays above 1800 fps. 140 grain bullets appear to be the ticket for that.

2 yo gun. I have a couple hundred rounds through it all of which I chronograph. Both factory and reloads. Factory loads 150-200 fps slow and reloads only ~50 slow. So I've chalked it up to long freebore, but I don't really know. I'll stick to reloads obviously but the next issue is lighter loads shoot fine, hotter not so much. I'm not satisfied with the light ones for hunting. Need to try some different powders/bullets but we all know how easy that is right now.

2 yo gun. I have a couple hundred rounds through it all of which I chronograph. Both factory and reloads. Factory loads 150-200 fps slow and reloads only ~50 slow. So I've chalked it up to long freebore, but I don't really know. I'll stick to reloads obviously but the next issue is lighter loads shoot fine, hotter not so much. I'm not satisfied with the light ones for hunting. Need to try some different powders/bullets but we all know how easy that is right now.
Well the nice thing is since it's a Tikka you can seat out and adjust your loads that way. 50 fps slow for handloads isn't anything to worry about. I'd work up a good load and shoot it. If you're not happy you could get a new prefit barrel that is either barrel nut or shouldered.

I have had 3 different 7/08's, still have 2. With 140 gr class bullets the best powders I have used are WW760--H100V- H-380 and StaBal 6.5. From a 24" barrel StaBal will get you slightly over 3000 ft/sec, the other 3 powders mentioned will get you between 2925 and 2975 ft/sec. At least this is what I got. All powders got me sub MOA accuracy. One word of caution is that using StaBal 6.5 I found this powder spike real fast when getting to near max load. Best bullet accuracy wise in one of my 7/08's was the 139 Hornady GMX. The Barnes 145 LRX also shot real good. JME

I'll help push the easy button.

7mm08
140 Accubond
47-47.5 grains Ramshot Big Game
LRM primer
R-P brass

2,850 to 2,890 in a 22.5" barrel. Kills elk dead.

I recall BuzzH showing plenty of dead bulls with the 7mm08/140AB combo, maybe that's on a different forum.
I shoot the same load out of a 25" break action at 2925fps, really is the east button

Is it possible that the chronograph isn't correct?
Hmm. I would love it if that was the answer. But it seems pretty right on for a number of other calibers.
Funny you say that because when I first bought my "chronograph" I started calling it my "disapointograph". But had to come to conclusion it was right.

Just trying to solicit some opinions on an elk load for my 7mm08 with stuff I've got on hand. I'd love to be able to shoot out to 500 with this gun, but understand that is pushing it with an 08.

Gun:
Tikka T3x Compact. 1:9.5 twist, 20" barrel

Powder's I Own:
HodgdonSuperformance
HodgdonH4350
IMR4350
RamShotBig Game
RamShotHunter
RamShotMagnum
WinchesterStaBall 6.5

Bullet's I Own:
Bullet MakeBullet ModelGrainBC
BarnesTTSX-BT1500.408
BarnesLRX1450.486
HornadyCX1500.455
I would stick with the 145 gr LRX and use either Big Game or Staball 6.5 and LR primers. If you have 139 gr LRX or 140 TTSX I would go with either one of those and use Big Game or Staball 6.5 and LR primers, just for a little more velocity.

Try some, Hornady 150 grain, ELD-X's and as much StaBall 65 Powder as, the "Law" allows ! Use Hogdon's Data and,.. "work up",.. CAREFULLY !
This Powder, produces, very High Velocity and the ELD-X is, a good bullet.
My son easily exceeded, 2,800 FPS with his, 22.4", Tikka 7-08 using, StaBall.
The ELD-X Bullet, Mushroom's WELL and, Penetrates, Deep on Elk !

Last edited:
I have had 3 different 7/08's, still have 2. With 140 gr class bullets the best powders I have used are WW760--H100V- H-380 and StaBal 6.5. From a 24" barrel StaBal will get you slightly over 3000 ft/sec, the other 3 powders mentioned will get you between 2925 and 2975 ft/sec. At least this is what I got. All powders got me sub MOA accuracy. One word of caution is that using StaBal 6.5 I found this powder spike real fast when getting to near max load. Best bullet accuracy wise in one of my 7/08's was the 139 Hornady GMX. The Barnes 145 LRX also shot real good. JME
Yes it spikes fast. In all my .270s though it shot without pressure at 1 to 1.5 grains above max with 130s and 145s with good groups. A grain higher and I had to hammer it out and blew primers. But don't try this. Start way down and be careful and never exceed max loads because I tried it. I tested in an my old model 70 Sporter push feed, a Tikka with a 22, and a Remington ADL. SSTs and ELDXs .270s not 7mm-08.