Building an Elk Load - 7mm08

You can size 308 win SRP to 7-08 thus using a small rifle primer. 7 SAUM can be used in a SA. But it works better in a LA if 180's are on the menu. Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it isn't valid choice. Much like I wouldn't go hunting elk with a creedmoor. If you want to that's fine.
I've been killing elk with a creed for 10 yrs
It works just fine from the muzzle to 600 yrds

gonna go 180 in a,7mm step up to the 7 mag
Elk are not bullet proof
For hunting large rifle primers is the norm
Never said it didn't work for me ive never needed a 175 or bigger to kill anything 140-162get it done just as quickly
I said anything above 162 your better off running a 7 mag bigger is not always better

I've been killing elk with a creed for 10 yrs
It works just fine from the muzzle to 600 yrds

gonna go 180 in a,7mm step up to the 7 mag
Elk are not bullet proof
For hunting large rifle primers is the norm
Never said it didn't work for me ive never needed a 175 or bigger to kill anything 140-162get it done just as quickly
I said anything above 162 your better off running a 7 mag bigger is not always better
Run the numbers you'll see that a 7 SAW with a 175 Berger or 180 ELDM or Berger would be much better than your 6.5 CM. It's the easy button.

If U R not overly attached to that 7/08, I would encourage U to consider a more effective cartridge, as elk R big, tough animals. They typically don't offer the ideal shot, move frequently, and now that there R other hunters every 500 yards, you need to get them down to stay. If 7mm is your "Huckleberry", find a cartridge that is capable of pushing that 150 up to at least 3K fps. 168 or larger would B even better @3K.

Hmm I seem to recall one member named maybe "pharmseller" or something like that that used 7-08 with mid weight class bullets for elk. Took some pretty big ones and I think the Barnes 145 was used. Maybe search the forum.

Just trying to solicit some opinions on an elk load for my 7mm08 with stuff I've got on hand. I'd love to be able to shoot out to 500 with this gun, but understand that is pushing it with an 08.

Gun:
Tikka T3x Compact. 1:9.5 twist, 20" barrel

Powder's I Own:
HodgdonSuperformance
HodgdonH4350
IMR4350
RamShotBig Game
RamShotHunter
RamShotMagnum
WinchesterStaBall 6.5

Bullet's I Own:
Bullet MakeBullet ModelGrainBC
BarnesTTSX-BT1500.408
BarnesLRX1450.486
HornadyCX1500.455
Yup the guy I saw with your components is pharmseller. Here's a link to a thread with some loads using 150 ELDX and Big Game. I believe on other threads he used a Barnes. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11695822/4

Great info guys. I really appreciate the opinions and info. Lots to digest and consider.

Just to clarify, my Tikka 7-08 is the gun I use for my kiddos and although not necessarily poking elk at 500, I'd like to have a load that is capable. I've got heavier calibers in the safe, but really love the compact size of this gun and light recoil. Since its so light and nimble, I often find myself grabbing it for deep backcountry trips as well.

After reading through all the comments, I'm thinking about starting out with Barnes 145 LRX with some Ram Shot Big Game or StaBall 6.5. Velocities appear to be a little higher with these powders, but we'll see what kind of velocities and groups I'm getting with the shorter barrel on this gun. Looks like I should be able to achieve MV between 2800-2900fps.

If I'm seeing low velocities, I might jump down to the Barnes 139 LRX or try some different powder, but would like to try 140+gr bullets first.

If you're going to try 140's, give the 140 absolute hammers a try. They may give you the velocity you are looking for. Only use if comfortable as they require faster powders and reloading experience, and being able to identify pressure.

The high BC, 168 grain, H-VLD Berger Bullet, Launched at over, 2,750 FPS, will "Slay" an Elk,.. way, WAY, out there, in a 7 MM-08 but, you will need to,.. "Dial" for, Range. And,.. "ream out", the Throat's "Leade" angle, in a Tikka 7-08.
StaBall 65, will get, THIS Bullet,.. "Moving" !
You don't need to ream out a aTikka 708 chamber to shoot the 168s. I've played with 2 of them. Both shot the 168s very well

My son researched it and was told, "some", 7mm-08 Tikka's HAD the sharp, 3* Leade angles and other shooters said that, They also, HAD problems with,.. High BC, Vld Bullets, shooting well. All I know is that, he could NOT get, "Repeatable" GOOD Group's from, one Day to, the Next.
He's 45 y/o Tekkie, very smart and, I seriously DOUBT that, he would Spend the Money to Rent a Reamer IF, NOT,.. necessary.
This was about, 3-4 Years ago, on His T-3 X, Super lite, SS Tikka. Glad you've had, "NO, Problem's"