Hot load for the 7mm08???

Waynard

I have a Weatherby Vanguard 2 carbine 7-08 . I'm looking for a good load using IMR 4350, 140 gr. Sierra P.H. Nos. brass & CCI B.R. 2 primers. I've found 46.5 gr. of IMR 4350 with Swift s.p. on Hodgdon web site. But nothing for the Sierra. Also have R17 & R15 powder. What kind of Max. velocity can I expect with a 20 inch barrel , give or take F.P.S.?

I have a Weatherby Vanguard 2 carbine 7-08 . I'm looking for a good load using IMR 4350, 140 gr. Sierra P.H. Nos. brass & CCI B.R. 2 primers. I've found 46.5 gr. of IMR 4350 with Swift s.p. on Hodgdon web site. But nothing for the Sierra. Also have R17 & R15 powder. What kind of Max. velocity can I expect with a 20 inch barrel , give or take F.P.S.?

Bullet weight is bullet weight regardless of brand. Bullet style and brand will make a difference in seating depth, but that's about it. You might have to tweak your powder charge by a couple of 1/10th's of a grain up or down for the best accuracy. I've found my powder charges work equally well for similarly weighted bullets of different brand.

Your point of impact will most likely be different than it was with the Swifts.

You could end up anywhere from low 2800s to high 2900s. Just depends. It's going to be enough FPS to throw out accuracy.

I've loaded for three different 708s and found they like to be loaded towards the top of the velocity range. My son's shoots the 120 Nosler Ballistic hunting tip loaded at MAX load. I haven't chronographed it yet. I use IMR 4350 in it. My A.I. I use RL 15, but I'm probably going to switch.

Good luck.

The 708 is great cartridge.

The Fastest/Hottest load I use in my 20'' barreled 7-08 for hunting is 46.5 grains of Varget, 120 grain Ballistic Tip and a CCI BR2 primer for 3155 ft/sec. I also have another good load that is slightly more accurate but also slower. It is 49.5 grains of H 414 and the same components as the other load (Except the powder).

It drops deer where they stand and I have been 100% successful past 500 yards with
these loads.

I tried the 140s but could never get the velocity above 2900 ft/sec. The 140s did Ok but
everything ran 50 to 300 yards hit dead center in the chest. (Velocity is the problem at Point of impact and if not high enough the bullets will not perform as well as they should).

Warning ; These loads should be worked up to slowly.

J E CUSTOM

I have been wanting to build a specially throated 7mm-08 for shooting the 180 Berger VLD's. I figure it will be very similar to my .308 shooting 210 VLD's.

Won't be the fastest load, but it should put the smackdown on something inside of 750-850. This is just speculation based on my .308 & 210 Bergers.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts