308 load for elk

jrdoty

Hello everybody im going on an elk hunt in Oregon in October and am trying to come up with a good load for my Savage 10fp in .308. I have a pretty accurate load using 43.5 gr. Varget under a 180 accubond in lapua brass, but am only getting about 2550 fps. When I up the powder charge I start getting pressure signs. Just wondering what powder I should try, to get more velocity out of the 180 gr. bullets. I would like to get into the 2600 fps range.

what's an extra 50fps gonna do? try some 150 triple shocks, probably be your best bet for gaining some speed and still have a bullet that would be good for elk.

I would try something in the 165gr range or like it was already suggested the 150gr Triple Shock. I have a load that works very well with 180gr Hornady SP's and 44.2gr Varget. I get right around 2600fps, but that is my short range bush load. Although it has worked well out to 350yds on deer.

Hello everybody im going on an elk hunt in Oregon in October and am trying to come up with a good load for my Savage 10fp in .308. I have a pretty accurate load using 43.5 gr. Varget under a 180 accubond in lapua brass, but am only getting about 2550 fps. When I up the powder charge I start getting pressure signs. Just wondering what powder I should try, to get more velocity out of the 180 gr. bullets. I would like to get into the 2600 fps range.

JMO, but I think, at most, you can gain about 100-125 fps, but what's that really going to do for you? The elk will never know the difference. Varget is an excellent powder for the 308, but one of my favorite powders for velocity in this caliber has always been IMR 4064. In fact, starting Monday, I'll be loading a lot of it for a buddy's 308 for our TX hunt in first week of October.

The 180 bullet will serve you well, but you may want to consider a lighter bullet but just as tough, or tougher, like the previously mentioned Barnes. I prefer the 168 myself.

Good luck and post pics after your hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.