ELK hunting

etisll40

I live in NYS and I want to hunt Elk, state doesn't mean much to me, just time frame to get a tag and decent area. I would consider a guided hunt if not too too expensive or a long wait. Anyone know a state that seems faster to getting a tag and/or a unit that is good in any state if you had your choice?

Thanks

40, most here in Az go to Colorado if not drawn here. Check on Internet for tags and guides.

Colorado is a state that's fairly easy to get a tag in. If you want to go with a guide, Google Colorado elk guides, send an email to some, get the ball rolling, ask them what areas they hunt, and ask them what ever you want to ask them. If you start narrowing it down, ask for a list of references. Research them online. DO A LOT OF RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!! I prefer the DIY route. I'm a big fan of being all along out there. It kind of does something for me. If you want to go that route, you'll need to start getting preference points, and figuring out what time of year you want to hunt. The DIY thing is much harder, but much more rewarding.

Getting a guide if you can afford it is not a bad ideal. I grew up in Louisiana and lived in Michigan for a couple years before moving to Colorado about 11 years ago and one thing I will say for sure... do not expect elk hunting to be anything like deer hunting!! Everyone will tell you all about the enormous number of elk in Colorado, what they all seem to forget about though is the fact that there is a way, way, WAY more enormous amount of uninhabited land that all these elk can be spread out over! In other words if its something you will do 1-5 times in a lifetime, having help from someone who lives here and has a clue in the world were to even begin could very well mean the difference between an amazing success story, and a story of the most discouraging and expensive hunting trip in your life. That being said if its something you want to make a habit out of and come back every year or 2 just for the fun of seeing the mountains and maybe shooting an elk some day then DIY is the way I would say to go. Ether way elk hunting is a blast as long as you have a realistic view of how many elk you may or may not actually see, so good luck and have a ton of fun!:)

I do agree with the above. Elk hunting is nothing like whitetail deer hunting. Your not going to show up, find some tracks, and get started. Finding elk tracks usually means that elk were there, but are no longer. This is also extremely rough country, and very vast, compared to the whitetail woods. I lost 6 lbs back in September, while I was wandering around, looking for elk. That's 6 lbs, in 6 days, and I'm not a big guy. But it was a DIY hunt, and I did get a 5x5. Actually of all my elk hunting trips, I can only remember 1 that I came home empty handed, and they were all DIY hunts. That includes rifle, bow, and muzzleloader hunts, with the magority of them being bow hunts. And I will add that I live 1200 miles east of Denver, and have no local help out there. DIY is doable, but much harder. A lot of the guides are local Cowboys and ranchers, that know where the elk are. If you can afford it, a good guide will increase your chances, but if not, you can do it on your own. But one way or another, you will pay for it. You'll come back a changed person.

......Getting a guide if you can afford it is not a bad idea

It can be less inexpensive in the long run, sometimes tags can be had quicker in a guided or landowner situation.

I'd hunt Wyoming with SNS outfitters again. Calling and talking is a good start. Don't forget the Canadian Provinces some good hunts there (guided).

Guide and outfitter organizations have good lists.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.