Elk Hunting

littletoes

Alright guys, lets see them pic's! I know its the season, and since I ain't haveing any luck, I want to hear about others having luck. Have all kinds of sign, but them critters just keep hiding from me, don't they know that i just want to talk!?! HAHA!

rolltide

Barry,

Good job! What's the Mulie gonna score? By the way, what did you shoot on these hunts?

Congrats,

CC

barry206

Shooting a 300RUM and 165gr speer grand slam at 3430fps.The bull was shot at 230yds and the buck at 325.I had these bullets laying around and they shot good at 200yds,less than inch.The bull went down with one shot,heart and lungs with a pass through.The buck fell with one also.Busted up the shoulder,fraged and lodged in the other shoulder.The weight retension wasnt impressive.Bullet weighed 96.5 grains after removing excess meat.The 200gr MK's shoot great out of the Shilen barrel but I couldnt talk myself into using them.Its bad when your buck is bigger than your bull.

QuietHunter

Not long range, but my Father-In-Law helped get these two bucks. 28 1/2" on the right, 26" buck on the left.

Here is one of my brothers muzzle buck from this year. I scanned in the pic so it is not real clear, but the buck is a very heave 27" (with the cheater). I call it long range since it was killed at a lasered 160 yards using a .54 Lyman Great Plains shooting a 340 gr Powerbelt.

Barry. Is that bull 1 1/2 or a 2 1/2 year old bull? I spent some time guiding down around Trinidad and it seems to me there are few spikes and it looks like 1 1/2 year old bulls are branch antlered like that. The 2 1/2 year olds were not as "raggy" as what I typically see and looked more like the 3 /12 year old bulls in other parts of the state. Just curious what your thoughts are on the bull.

Where abouts did you get the buck? I saw one killed on some of Doc Bibber's(sp?) land on the Apishipa River a few years ago that that one reminds me of.

barry206

The deer was shot on National forest land near Bear Lake close to Forbes land.I think the bull was 2 1/2 trs old but not forsure.The littlest body I've ever taken.I know a guy that killed a 35 inch spread on Pinon Canyon this year[5 by 5].I need to go talk to Biber about calling coyotes.

littletoes

Great pic's guys! Thanks for sharing. Elk hunting here in WA sure is tough! But I keep trying. Know some farmers that have elk, but they won't let anyone hunt their place. Very nice muley Barry. Hey QuietHunter, what the heck took you so long to post? Knew you would have some nice pic.'s. Something about "Location."

Roadrunner

All you guys, GOOD JOB. You all did outstanding!!! Awesome!! Thanks for the pictures; it allows those of us who couldn't make it out West this year to live vicariously through you-all. Thanks again!!!

Trending threads

Recent Posts

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce