Elk down in New Mexico

I was hunting in unit 23. Would have been a hard hunt had I not found this bull early. The Bergers did their job on the bull. I will post apic if the recovered bullet. He would have does from the first shot. It was crazy, he was one tough bull. He was wobbling between the 2nd and third shot but his legs just wouldn't go!

It was a lot of fun. I have been shooting and practicing long distance shots with this rifle all the way out to 1900 yards for a year now. The longest shot on game before this was 338 yards. This was my first bull with a rifle and my longest shot (4 longest shots haha!)
Man that's great. There are some good animals in that part of the state but as I remember the numbers are not big and they get so little human contact that they are very wary.

Congrats, I know you worked your butt of to get ready for this kind of hunt for a very long time.

Here are the pics of the bullet as promised. That's a good poking mushroom.

image.jpg

All the same bullet just different angles and it will only let me post one pic at a time.

Hang on...pics are doing wacky things on here.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 62
here is the last pic that i took that didn't get in with the other pics when I tried to put them on here.

IMG_0987.JPG

the main piece of bullet weighed 70.1 gr and with the lead fragment that was with it when I recovered the bullet weighs 41 gr so 111.1 gr for both. A little over 33% weight retention. The OTM's seem to work very well.

Good Job!! and huge congrats on a very nice bull. They can be tough suckers and the reason I use a .3 or bigger too.

Good report and I have a few of those recovered 300 OTM's that look a lot like that.

Jeff

Thanks everyone. It was an experience for sure. I have never seen an animal wobble around like he was on stilts for so long and not fall down. After the second shot made contacted, he wobbled around and would shake his head side to side very vigorously and globs of blood would just fling out of his nose and mouth. All those four shots happened within a minute but it seemed like an eternity from behind the stick. As I have a single shot, I put one round in the chamber when I was set up and had 3 rounds to the side of me. I never felt like I needed a repeater. I had practiced the reloading sequence for a single shot rifle numerous times and you get quite fast at it. Was good to put practice to reality on a live animal and fill the freezer at the same time :D

here is the last pic that i took that didn't get in with the other pics when I tried to put them on here.

View attachment 39954

the main piece of bullet weighed 70.1 gr and with the lead fragment that was with it when I recovered the bullet weighs 41 gr so 111.1 gr for both. A little over 33% weight retention. The OTM's seem to work very well.
Yep, even at 1/3 retained mass you're talking close to 100gr remaining relatively intact plus a 200gr grenade exploding inside the animal.

If you can get that much in the boiler room every time you are not going to lose many, if any animal even with a single shot.

Yup...the weather turned ugly up there right after we took off today! And those mountain roads get nasty after a rain!
No kidding. We used to spend a good bit of Time up around Mayhill , Magdelena, and Madre Mountain not to mention visiting my grand dad in Ruidoso. A little rain, ice, or snow and it can get pretty western in a hurry.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.