New Mexico Draw Results Are In

I've read all the stuff on the New Mexico draw about how it's corrupt and what not. I'm sure some of the talk is true and some is not.

Just for a reference, I've drawn an elk tag in prime units, 15 and 16's for the past 9 out of 11 years. 2 rifle tags and 7 archery tags. But I have put in for a SEPTEMBER ARCHERY!! deer tag in unit 16 for 4 years now and have a 50% chance to draw that tag and Havnt drawn it yet!

All I know, is there are residents in arizona who Havnt gone elk hunting in arizona for a very long time. I'd rather have the New Mexico odds than the Arizona odds.

NM sets aside 6% of tags for non-residents, 10% for outfitters, and the rest for residents. Because NM has been run by one party for 70+ years, it is a poor state. 46% are on the government dole. So, most NM hunters can't afford to hunt with an outfitter, and hunters like myself prefer not to. So, with about 12% of tags going to non-residents, it is a good place to apply. I drew for antelope in 1990 and again in 2022. Tough draw. NM made a change for us meat hunters and left the cow elk for NM residents only. Most of my friends didn't draw either. I got deer and elk. If you have the money, you can purchase a landowner tag for elk, deer, antelope, or oryx. NM gives lots of tags to ranchers, supposedly to compensate for the damage they do. Look on Craigslist, and you'll see them listed.