Elk arrived!!

I would like to chose archery or rifle for each tag, I enjoy hunting both ways and would hate to have to be locked in for all my hunting that year with one method of take, I do think something has to change there though.

There in lies the problem. Everyone is ok with change until it starts affecting them haha. Start messing withNR tags and NRs get angry but residents are fine with it. Start messing with resident tags and residents get mad. No pain...no gain!

Reread what I posted from NM website from 2014 when they changed the percentages. 84% to Residents.
10 percent to NR and Resident who contract through outfitter and 6% for NR who do not contract with outfitter

There in lies the problem. Everyone is ok with change until it starts affecting them haha. Start messing withNR tags and NRs get angry but residents are fine with it. Start messing with resident tags and residents get mad. No pain...no gain!
Ya, I'm trying to be middle of the road on this! Part of me feels like if you want to come hunt elk here take the 50% pay cut, try to find a job and move here and hunt as a resident:oops: but I'm trying to be nice!!

This is a good thread. Im not a native Montanan but I have seen a big change in the elk herds in the time I have been here. I also can not believe the way hunting is conducted here. What Rhian said about side by sides, running down herds, and them getting shot at from every direction is the common practice. If that second picture is all thats left of the big herd that used to come down to the pivots, thats almost hard to believe. I may be wrong, or not able to see the big picture, but I do feel the problem is mainly too many hunters for the region to support. The technology we have today, all the road access, numbers of hunters, plus the way its looked at as "failure" if you dont fill every tag you have, its not surprising. Some locals have even said they wouldnt mind a total closure for a few years. That kind of talk from guys born and raised here tells me its pretty bad.

Last edited:
When our F@G gets serious about reducing the Wolf, Bear including G- bear mtn lion and other predator numbers I'll get on board about closures.
Doesnt make sense to try and bring herd numbers up at the expense of sportsman.
I agree somethings gotta be done.

When our F@G gets serious about reducing the Wolf, Bear including G- bear mtn lion and other predator numbers I'll get on board about closures.
Doesnt make sense to try and bring herd numbers up at the expense of sportsman.
I agree somethings gotta be done.
I agree with what you are saying but without some hard changes in the policies of game management a moratorium is coming. I don't want to see that happen but it will I assure you. Here in the east it does happen, it works but it should never come to that. i hope I'm wrong but I see it coming in the future, your state doesn't have tags so the others states will get the pressure and they will all fall like dominoes ! This freight has got to be paid and I see the predator problem first in line or next year Bigngreen will see a dozen elk..... hopefully! Then reduce motorized access to remote areas and of course reduce tags and stop the auctioning of tags ! Not enough game except for the rich , that doesn't fly with me! Also concern yourself with residents first, I hate to say that but it's the truth. Your taxes your home you first!

Im lucky and grew up in MT.The east side vrs west side are day and night apart. I grew up a rifle hunter and became a bowhunter.I would rather bowhunt if I could.Not long as in ten years ago I could have success,which is different for everyone. Because I live on west side did,as many know alot hunting here in wilderness areas.Sherm knows as many our game is gone.Very little outfitting on this side in select areas. I have spent time east,antelope and other,alot of access easier,which open for more abuse and people like easier.We have different problems for different areas.I had multiple years where I would fill my tags archery,including bear antelope and lion.This year I ate all my tags with 28 days in.I never saw a bull or buck mule deer.My past goals would be 160 whitey,180 muley and decent 6by. Now I dont even see game? Almost everyone I know hunts east,you go to local taxidermist,most est or other.We have G bears bad here.A local guide here,that guides east said same thing for local area. I think some trophy type areas would help certain parts and let game grow,dont put in there if you dont want.ID has multiple seasons and draws,that are shorter pick A OR B.Spreads hunters out more.I sent a kid out in all my old spots,all archery in middle fork big hikes,hes tough not one bugle. My kid is on work visa in NZ. He was like ''DAD, theres NO preditors here'' Thats one the reasons he went,he had alot of tag soup here, meanwhile looking at my shop full of horns from days gone by. My last ten years I dont even feel like a hunter,some years 50 days in for a last day meat buck.Drawings,putting in since kid,30-40 years,drawn 2 moose.One after 28 years and other right after my 7 year wait.Should be a lifetime tag.Some of its fixable.I use to hunt east for archery elk,access threw ranch to FS,woods 3 miles.He use to let in 6,then 14,then you needed $3000.To basically hunt FS.Was hard to pay and people,I spent a good part of my years hunting highcountry with out seeing another boot print.See you guys east,ya Ive been the D.. over there before in a wall tent

I wonder how many hunters we have now vs. 20 years ago? anyone have stats on that?

Where I live population exploded 50k plus people in a 10 year time frame. since ground around here cannot magically grow its no surprise the lack of animals.

Sad to say - but the glory days are over. whether or not its due to lack of game, hunting pressure, or horrible management. we all have to stomach the fact it will never be the same! I am always one to sit down and get together for critical thinking/management. however - this is a very common theme among most northwestern states......lack of game, too much hunting pressure, etc, etc. there is a pattern here, that obviously no one state has learned to crack.

I hunted the up panhandle years past.First time had 8 bulls going,as you know alot of that erea high,elk way down in the holes.And its steep,cliffs alder,a PERFECT elk spot.Five years later same spot,which wasnt tough to get to,it was gettint out.All up after all day chasing.First call,the elk where so far removed,I got in on a screamer,huge mountain maple big as my leg rubbed,he came in probably 15 yards NOT even remotely a shot.My buddy and I later had talk if we should even shoot one in there.The elk got real scarce and we didnt go back.The trails were like horse trails back then.

@sp6x6 Yepper, that's where I hunt. average bow shot is a legitimate 10 yards or less - if you have a clean shot at 15+ yards you better get down on your knees and thank the lord because that never happens!

there are some elk still alive in these holes. but like you said - steep - AND DEEP. you gotta earn em now!

NID, Quick story,in there hunting a hole multiple bulls going.My buddy calls in two dudes,think they where from Penn. Guides at time ,think maybe Wayne H.We are what you doing in no outfitter zone,they hunting for themselves,day off.Loosen up later see them,had taken 360-380 bulls there.My bud excellent caller,they left bull and came to us.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.