Effective Range 7mm-08 & 6.5 CM

To answer your question directly 400 yards is the max using 1500 pounds of energy on target. I would personally go with the 7mm-08 due to heavier bullets in factory ammunition. Can't remember which guy said it but 1800 ft./lbs. is better or limit your shots to 400 yards or less.

With any caliber from a 243 to a 338 Lapua it isn't the rifle speed, foot pounds of energy that make a clean well placed shot and humane kill. It's the shooter with a knowledge of time well spent on the range familiarizing his/her understanding of their shooting ability. Knowing that their rifle is properly set up. That the trigger is adjusted to their preference. The scope base, rings and scope are securely mounted. That the stock fits them. Hours upon hours of range time develops the skill and accuracy, muscle memory and mental balance a shooter requires before stepping foot in the field to hunt any game animal. Hogs, deer, antelope, bear, elk and varmints aren't normally standing around waiting for the hunter to make a movie perfect shot.

7-08 ,Rem700 Classic, tuned by Gruning Precision, Jewel Trigger 1.5 lb, Nightforce NSX 3.5-15 x50, NPR1 Reticle
Shooting Data to 1000yds
Rifle initially built for Metallic Shilouette to 500 meters
Have competed in various matches to 1000yds
Use this rifle for long range coyote hunting in the desert kills to 840 yards

This rifle has successfully taken deer to 750 yards, pigs to 580, elk to 700.
Bullet: Barnes 140gr TTSX my handloads
4 days ago I shot a nice buck deer with my new Howa Mini Mauser in 6.5 Grendel and a wild boar at 560 yds. 123 gr Hornady GMX AWESOME Results

The SST is a great bullet on deer. I would be leary of shooting an elk with it because they tend to explode when the hit bone. I had one fail on a mule deer at 160 yards. Exploded the shoulder and dropped the deer, but I think the result would have been unfavorable on a elk shoulder. See pic. This was a 130 gr 270

What was your muzzle velocity?

At magnum speeds yes they blow up, but not with the speeds of the 7mm-08. My closest shot was a Mulie at just under 100 yds, quartering shot hit behind the shoulder and exited through the shoulder on opposite side and dropped on the spot, longest kill just over 450 yds, and also exited but without hitting bone in this case, deer walked about 25 yards and then went down.

The heavier for caliber are even better, 154gr and the 162gr.

You just have to know the limitations of a bullet, they all have one, whether its blow up at close range, failure to expand at long range, some don't expand and medium ranges, etc

As a rule of thumb I use 2000fps and 1500fpe for elk. You can kill them with a good deal less, though.

Using handloads, I killed a pile of elk with a 160g Speer Grand Slam load at 2857fps (slow 7mm RM). Took me 20+ years to recover one and that one wrecked both shoulder joints of a nice bull. When we removed the hide it was peeking out of the bone.

Killed my last one with the same load at 411 yards, a 6x5 bull, 4 steps and down.

I'm not sure I follow your 2000 1500 fps statement. Shouldn't it be 2000 fps minimum for elk and 1500 fps for thin skinned, deer and such?

Whatever the range equaled to that it met the minimum performance I expected.
Think about it like this. The 7mm-08 will shoot the same bullets as a 7mm RemMag, just not quite as fast. If you'd shoot an animal at further ranges with the RemMag, why wouldn't you shoot one at closer ranges with the smaller case?
Just an example:
If the bigger case will send out a 160 Accubond at 3050 fps (Nosler load data), I may set the range limit to 800 yards at the altitudes I hunt elk. The 7mm-08 will send that same bullet out at 2750 (again Nosler data), it will have the same velocity/energy at 600 yards as the 7mm Mag load did at 800. If it's the same performance at that shorter range, then why wouldn't I use it and why would I expect a different outcome?
This is the same logic that I apply. Driving a 140 VLD out of my 6.5x284 at 3000FPS. It delivers 1000FPE at 1800FPS to take medium game at a 1000 yard max range. This would translate to my 6.5x47 Lapua being used at a 800 yard max to deliver the same performance with the same bullet.

I would say that when your cone of fire your ability under the present field conditions can hit an 7" target 100% certainty. And you have enough remaining energy and velocity for the shot that would be your maximum effective range. And it will vary with rifle and cartridge may be more for you with one system and less with others. I mean I can hit 7" with my .223 out to 600 yards on steel but would never try on a animal past 300 yards and 200 under perfect conditions on a deer most for me are under 150 yards is my max for that system on deer if I need more I will carry one of my other systems or move my stand closer for tomorrow's hunt.
Hope this helps you and your decision making.

Imho there are 2 factors you should consider. Minimum expansion threshold of the bullet and having adequate KE for the bullet to penetrate the vitals. The former is published by the bullet manufacturer the second may be up for debate but 1000 ftlb has been thrown around for deer sized game. 800 is probably doable. For elk I would add 500. Now run your ballistics and see where your at. A higher bc bullet will carry that energy farther.

I've never been elk hunting, unfortunately. I do a lot of reading in case I get that chance. My knowledge base is minimal. I see a lot people posting on here velocity recommendations for whatever caliber they are using for elk. What about the 1200 rule? Colorado Parks & Wildlife recommends that whatever caliber one uses, the max range to shoot an elk is the max range one's round keeps no less than 1200 foot pounds of energy. 2000 foot pounds for a quartering shot. Please let me know why the focus on velocity over energy.

I've never been elk hunting, unfortunately. I do a lot of reading in case I get that chance. My knowledge base is minimal. I see a lot people posting on here velocity recommendations for whatever caliber they are using for elk. What about the 1200 rule? Colorado Parks & Wildlife recommends that whatever caliber one uses, the max range to shoot an elk is the max range one's round keeps no less than 1200 foot pounds of energy. 2000 foot pounds for a quartering shot. Please let me know why the focus on velocity over energy.
Sorry, it may be the 1500 rule. I'm getting different info since my last reading.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.