Edge or RUM

Bravo29

I could use some advise from you guys. I have a 338 28+" blank, 1 in 9 and a 700 mag action which I intended to build a RUM with to shoot 285's and 300's.

I also have 50 rounds of loaded factory rum ammo and a set of RUM dies.

Im haveing trouble finding 338 rum brass, but 300 rum seams to be more common. Since I'd have to modify 300 rum brass with the edge or 338 rum and my max barrel length is 26". Does it make sense to chamber it in the 338 edge or just stick with the RUM?

Thanks
B29

both 338 and 300 RUM brass is hard to find right now. I wouldn't base your build just on that since there are so many other factors of how you plan to use the rifle.

The edge guys can chime in on what they're doing for brass. I have a 338 RUM and although it's been tough to find brass, it's not impossible. Just have to be patient, and buy enough when you find it in stock. And the same goes for power/primers/bullets too. It is the unfortunate state of the entire industry right now.

I'll second that. I went with an edge over a lapua because of brass availability. The 300 rum brass has dried up it seems and when you can find it, the price is rediculus at almost lapua pricing for Remington cases. I kinda wish I had gone lapua at this point. I do use 338 rum hornady dies to load for the edge so that wouldn't necessarily be added cost to you. I do have a stash of 375 rum brass that will keep me going for a while, hopefully 300 rum brass becomes available again by the time what I have runs out.

I use R-P 300 RUM brass for my Edge. I'm not stressing the brass so I'm not interested in the Bertram.

but

I also have a 338/26-Nosler, which is not a 33-Nosler, they shortened it.

Knowing what I know now. If I already had all the stuff you have. Just go with the 338RUM.

The 338RUM is better better suited to your R700 action. The other option IMO would be the 338/26-Nosler but it won't like 285s or 300s.

Yeah, you could get a little more fps with the Edge but make sure you get the 338RUM throated for how you want to seat the bullets and it won't be that much difference.

Thanks, I appreciate the responses. I hunt on a large mountain ranch with lots of opportunities for long shots. I know both are capable elk rifles beyond my capability and my 338 WM has served me well but I just want the extra distance and energy.

Thanks
B29

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.