300 RUM or 338 Edge??

You certainly can't go wrong with either that is for sure but if I had to pick just one, I would do a 338 Edge +P from Shawn Carlock W/Defensive Edge. 3100+ FPS w/300gr bullet from a RUM sized case, hell, what's not to like about about a setup like that. gun)

The 338 (in any case) is going to offer increased barrel life over the 300RUM (although you could nitride it:rolleyes:). The Lapua, 338RUM & 338EDGE are so similar in velocity, it's pretty much pointless to argue it. The 30 cals offer a huge bullet selection that seems to expand every day... If running a Rem 700, the RUM case is about as big (diameter) as i'd run. Yes, yes I know, Rem offers a factory Lapua....

The good thing is, Norma is gearing up to offer 300RUM brass, so either way, you will have better quality brass than REM which really isn't terrible.

Either are going to need a brake to reduce recoil to a level where you don't develope a flinch & help you spot your own shots. I started with a 300, it is now a 338RUM & I am quite happy I did so.

My vote is for the 338 for the BBL life alone.

Pockets380,

For no other reason then just joining in here with you guys, I think the 30 cal, 230 grain Berger might be a consideration in your mental struggle!

Now I have no real experience with the "Edge" as I shoot 338LM's myself, but one factor you mentioned caught my attention. The barrel length you mentioned "no longer then 28". So I'm thinking the potential for a sporter style hunting gun, or lighter LRH Platform? Maybe I'm off here, but when trying to get some good potential out of a lighter rig, shorter bbl, 26"-28", the 300 Ultra with the 230 sure does a lot for a package like that. With a bit less recoil?

Anyway, my 2 cents, and may be all it's worth! We have just seen some amazing things out of that 230 here in the last 3 months filming hunts!

Take care.

Bob, You are dead on. With the introduction of the 230 grain Berger the ballistics out of a 300 RUM are right there with the 338-300 RUM. Energy is not a factor since both have that in spades. I built numerous 338-300 RUM's from 1998-2001 and know that one inside out along with the 300 RUM. Basically your looking at about the same bc bullet traveling 100+ fps faster in the 300 RUM. Considering a lighter, faster rifle with less recoil and a factory round the 300 RUM wins now. The 300 RUM even competes now with the 300 grain tactical .818 bc since the 300 RUM is faster with the 230. I was speaking of hunting bullet comparisons since the 230 hunting hybrid is in the making.

Don't forget the 30 cal 225 hornady. I've had good luck with those so far, and they are flat cheap compared to some of the others. It seems to like as much rl50 as you can get in the case. I got 2870 fps out of my ultra at 98 grains, and my brother stepped it up to 102 and broke 3K but I didn't like the powder compression. Waiting for rl33 to ease this issue. The newer rl series powders are more temp stable from what I've heard, so I'll try em to see how much.

That is very interesting about the 30 cal 230gr Berger. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of accuracy and velocity are you getting with it out of a 28 in barrel? Is the 225 Hornady an A-max? I guess I should do a little research on that on that one too! The edge +p sounds pretty amazing too!

Have the 300 RUM, 190 Bergers at 3200 FPS, on a 26 in. Sandaro. Currently loading the 230 Gr. Hybrid and getting 2980 FPS with 89gr. Retumbo. Very accurate load on both and both impact same at 100 yards with 1/2 moa. Love this rifle ammo combo, but hind sight being 20/20 would love to have the 338 Edge. Cant afford at this timegun)

Pockets380,

I do not have any experience with the 28" bbl yet. All our EOL built McMillan rifles are 26" bbl's. However I am getting 3000 fps currently, and we have no issues with 1/4 moa accuracy during sight in.

In March I shot it out to 1800 yards at McMillans rifle class they host. I was able to put down a -10" group with our LRH build. I also hosted a Bear hunt with one of the guys from Sportsman Channel just a week ago. We played with it at 1350 on film with him to try show the people of the TV world that were not crazy unethical hunters. But more so it is a way of hunting and a addiction like any other means of hunting. He was so pumped, he couldn't see straight! that at that distance we could bust approx 8" rocks pretty much at will! Then he went on to kill a giant Boar, not all that far @ 455 yards, but the bear went flat at the shot and never moved.

So all I can say is for us it has been working amazing!

This is all very exciting stuff to hear! Thanks for all the good info 1 wood chipper and Bob. Those are pretty great speeds for a 230gr out of the 26in barrel. A -10 in group at 1800 is awesome! I love the show by the way:) I was looking at the 338+p, but really am not crazy about the fact that it is not a repeater. It's really hard comparing the two since its the same case, guess I just need to decide if I want to shoot a 16lb bowling ball at 2820fps or a 12lb at a little over 3000fps!! :)

Pockets380,

You got it figured out! It's all about choices! Every guy seems to have some idea they really like chasing after, when they build a rifle. I seem to like chasing these big # performers in a package all scoped up with my NF on top under the 10lb mark! Our EOL 300 shooting the 230 pill is one that meets this requirement and has been working for us! It is my lead gun for now, that is until my new EOL MTN Extreme is completed, and field ready for our new 195 grain 7mm's!!!

I have also just started loading the Berger 230gr hybrid target in a 26" barrel but my velocities are a fair way below what Woodchopper and Bob are getting.
Using Retumbo I have chrono figures of: 89 gr 2800 ave with 61fps ES, 90gr 2826 ave with 16fps ES, 91gr 2886 ave with 12fps ES. These show no pressure signs in my factory remington 300RUM with its very long throat and bullets seated out to 3.914 OAL which is still 30 thou off the lands.
My accuracy is best so far with the 90gr load which gives 3/4" at 100 yards.
Can I ask what seating depth and distance off the lands you other fellows are using at this long throat has me puzzled.

Pockets380, The main thing is not to get to stressed out over the decision of what to build. Niether you nor anyone else will ever win your argument of these two because they are both excellent and will both serve your purpose well. Both are equally accurate with similar ballistics and will kill anything you care to shoot at within the range you described. You mentioned as light as possible and the 300 RUM would serve this purpose better because the 300 grainers will rock you in a light 338-300 RUM. An over the counter cartridge is easier and cheaper to get set up to load for with components easily available if you need to buy a box of bullets in a pinch.

I always lean to the factory cartridge for many reasons. For many years wildcat cartridges were about all I shot for top long range performance. During the 90's though things started to happen and many of the top wildcats became factory cartridges. Today there is no need to wildcat a cartridge for top performance. Factory cartridges will serve any purpose unlike the 60's and 70's era I came up in trying to design the next top wildcat. When we got the specs on the soon to be released 300 RUM in 1998 I immediately realized the best caliber for that case was 338 and started turning out 338-300 RUM's in late 1998 as fast as I could build them because now any magnum action could be fitted with a 338 that would give a little better results than the 340 wby. It turned out to be a good cartridge that was accurate and shot well with many different bullets and loads. But then in 2001 Remington introduced the 338 RUM which did the same thing in a factory cartridge and when guys shot them side by side at my shop I never got another order for a 338-300 RUM. No point when the 338 RUM was a factory cartridge with all the extra benefits of such and did the same thing. Many including myself worked hard through the late 90's trying to come up with a top 338 Lapua improved design and the standard Lapua and the many improved designs made a better choice than the 338-300 RUM if a guy was going to build a custom.

If a guy wanted a big fast 338 he could step up to the 378 wby case, 416 Rigby case or Excalibur case. You can easily stress yourself out with all the options but today a good factory cartridge is hard to beat. You can beat the 338-300 RUM performance easily with a factory cartridge or stand pat with that level of performance by getting a 338 RUM. If you want Shawn to plus P something he can do that with the other cartridges that give higher performance than the 338-300 RUM. You +P a 338-300 RUM and if this new thing Shawn is working with works then it puts you within 100-150 fps or so of a 338-378 wby factory cartridge. Well, you could just do the 338-378 wby to begin with and be well ahead of the 338-300 RUM +P or not. Lots of decisions. If you went the 338 route I would look into other choices besides the 338-300 RUM that might be a better fit for you and easier to work with. A +P 300 RUM would be a good one if the +P works. I haven't tested one so I have no idea if it does or doesn't. A 338 Lapua improved design would be a good choice if you wanted a wildcat. I have not shot the 230 hybrids in my 300 RUM's but from the velocities I have got with other similar heavy match bullets I am confident I will hit 3000 fps with the 230 Hybrids out of a 28" barrel which at .746 BC would be a top performer.

I am hoping to test the 230 hybrids in the Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman Rifle soon. I have shot several groups with the 210 Berger in the 10" range consistently at beyond 1200 yards at 3150-3200 fps. This is a 26" barrel 7 3/4 pound rifle like you are looking for.

Footsore,

I really do not want to direct you to do anything based on what I am doing, as I really only know my chambering. So please understand I am not being evasive, but more so just encouraging you to do your testing for your specific rifle. For my chamber I am using 91.5 grains H1000, and am 0.050 thousandths off the lands.

Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.