DUMBEST THING I'VE DONE IN A WHILE

wapitiaddict

I had a new 6.5 prc barrel for my new semi custom T3x rifle sitting loose on the reloading bench...and I was moving some stuff around on the bench...and I thought, "you know, I should really put that barrel safely out of the way before I bump it and it rolls off onto the concrete floor"...(I ignored that thought)....literally 10 seconds later...me not paying attention as I slide something over....clang clang clang clang.

So stupid!

Attached are a couple of pics. It buggered the very first thread/rounded edge of the tenon face, and then the very last thread on the tenon. It seems to thread into the action fine, but now it feels "gritty" and not as smooth spinning on.

The biggest question is have I potentially caused any accuracy damage? My main question is that scuff at the front of the tenon...it doesn't appear to have affected the face of that area, and just up in the rounded edge, but hard to tell. Other than a couple of minor cosmetic scuffs on the rest of the barrel, I dont notice any other damage. Even though I'm still slapping my face about it...barrel doesnt even have a single round through it yet....I actually think I may have come out lucky...if it didnt affect the accuracy.

Thoughts?

By the way, this is a shouldered barrel that spins on using a WTO switch lug.

Attachments

• 20210717_154331.jpg
    20210717_154331.jpg
    979 KB · Views: 289
  • 20210717_154432.jpg
    20210717_154432.jpg
    975.1 KB · Views: 287
If it makes you feel better, I knocked my 204 TC encore off the gun rack onto the concrete slab at the range last week. Scope got dinged and the laminated butt stock split through the thumb hole. Adding further insult, the glue I used for the repair made quite the mess and the surgical tubing I used to secure the stock during curing is now affixed to the stock.

I had a new 6.5 prc barrel for my new semi custom T3x rifle sitting loose on the reloading bench...and I was moving some stuff around on the bench...and I thought, "you know, I should really put that barrel safely out of the way before I bump it and it rolls off onto the concrete floor"...(I ignored that thought)....literally 10 seconds later...me not paying attention as I slide something over....clang clang clang clang.

So stupid!

Attached are a couple of pics. It buggered the very first thread/rounded edge of the tenon face, and then the very last thread on the tenon. It seems to thread into the action fine, but now it feels "gritty" and not as smooth spinning on.

The biggest question is have I potentially caused any accuracy damage? My main question is that scuff at the front of the tenon...it doesn't appear to have affected the face of that area, and just up in the rounded edge, but hard to tell. Other than a couple of minor cosmetic scuffs on the rest of the barrel, I dont notice any other damage. Even though I'm still slapping my face about it...barrel doesnt even have a single round through it yet....I actually think I may have come out lucky...if it didnt affect the accuracy.

Thoughts?

If we didn't ever do stupid things we'd never learn from our stupidity!!! Try figuring out why a barrel cut for 1 Custom 700 clone wouldn't pull an empty case out of another 700 custom clone. It took me an hour at least to realize the one had a coned bolt nose!!!!

I think, that Barrel might be, Bent a bit,.. Ship it to me for, further Testing !
I'll send it back to you, in a couple of years with, some,.. "results" !
PS; send the Proper Tikka, Recoil Lug with,.. it !
And a few Hundred, 6.5 Boolitz, and a set of, Dies, too !
Thanks in advance !,.. Lefty

Last edited:
I would think if your headspace is good, and with a shouldered barrel it should be squared up. So you should be good. Be sure to use anti seize on those threads.

Thanks for the response. That's what I'm hoping. Still putting everything together, so I guess I'll find out when I start shooting.

I think, that Barrel might be, Bent a bit,.. Ship it to me for, further Testing !

Haha. I'll let you know when it's in the mail.

Man now there's a true friend very eager to help out! We need more like him!!!

A fine triangular file should be able to clean those threads up enough so they won't feel gritty. Just be gentle with the file, you can always take a little more off, can never put any back on. Then hit it with some "never seize" type product when you mate it up with an action. I'd say accuracy should be unchanged. Inspect the crown of the muzzle, deformation there can and will kill your accuracy. I always keep the shipping tube, My barrels come with a cardboard tube over the threads too. I keep them all together because I know accidents happen.

Last edited:

So stupid!

Thoughts?

clean up with file and do not do this again install and you should be good to go

I attended a hunter safety class in CO years ago. The instructor brought in a large collection of his personal guns to show the class. The legs on the cafeteria style table was secured correctly and dumped all of his guns on the floor. I wanted to cry for him.

At the range once, a meticulous fellow used a heavy blanket to protect his rifle from scratches on the concrete bench. A gust of wind blew it off onto the concrete floor. Life is hard. Count your blessings, I think you got off easy.

Dress them carefully with a file as MagnumManiac wrote in post #4. I would especially dress that first "scuff" on the front of the tenon. That one of course leads the way when threading the barrel into the receiver. Could….could alter all the thread surfaces that it contacts , enlarging them just enough for you to have questions/doubts about the barrel attachment.

Recent Posts