Duds anyone???

Never had it happen on one I rolled, but now I'm nervous. I did have it happen on factory round. Many years ago I had a bullet lodge in the barrel from an round without any powder. Luckily it was just when target shooting, and I was smart enough to check the barrel.
Thank goodness for that!

I once loaded a 300WM with a partial load of H4350, about 12 grains by what was left in the measure, and didn't notice it… Following weekend I found that round when I pulled the trigger during a practice match, it went click, no bang, and when I turned the bolt the rifle hissed and the rim of the case was bent. The case mouth was all melted and burnt, the 190g CC bullet was wedged in the barrel about 4" in front of the chamber, no brass rod would budge it, had to ream it out of the barrel in the end. This is the only reloading mistake I didn't catch. Have had several mistakes since, but all were caught and rectified, I also stopped pouring powder and seating bullets straight after because of this incident. I do each stage as a set, pour powder in all cases, check powder heights, if ANY look suss, they get weighed again and adjusted if need be, then all get bullets seated. Have not had a missing or partially missing charge since doing this.
Have never had a misfire, hangfires when developing loads for wildcats, yes, but no scary incidents.

Cheers.

In CO I prime my .223 cases with a large primer set up (too lazy to switch). Once in a while, a primer will flip and I won't catch it, thus it is in backwards. Happened maybe three times. No I check to ensure they are right-side up. No issues since I started this practice.

I tried some Armscor primers once. Several duds in the brick of SP primers. Or maybe too hard, but I tried them in several 9mm pistols. Complained to the company, never heard back. Never bought again.

Just recently bought some 22 RF Armscor and 4 different lots had failure rates (FTF) of between 30 and 40%. When I emailed them sent nice reply and said they d sent prepaid freight box for return along with replacement ammo. Crickets….
No more Armscor of anything for me. YMMV

Yep, I've done it. Had two that didn't go bang that had insects inside the cases. My loading bench is in a outside the house building. Had empty cases in a box both times. One was a spider the other a stink bug. Stink bug was about two years ago. Keep all the brass to be loaded in zip lock bags now. The primer scorched them pretty good.
lol 😂

I once loaded a 300WM with a partial load of H4350, about 12 grains by what was left in the measure, and didn't notice it… Following weekend I found that round when I pulled the trigger during a practice match, it went click, no bang, and when I turned the bolt the rifle hissed and the rim of the case was bent. The case mouth was all melted and burnt, the 190g CC bullet was wedged in the barrel about 4" in front of the chamber, no brass rod would budge it, had to ream it out of the barrel in the end. This is the only reloading mistake I didn't catch. Have had several mistakes since, but all were caught and rectified, I also stopped pouring powder and seating bullets straight after because of this incident. I do each stage as a set, pour powder in all cases, check powder heights, if ANY look suss, they get weighed again and adjusted if need be, then all get bullets seated. Have not had a missing or partially missing charge since doing this.
Have never had a misfire, hangfires when developing loads for wildcats, yes, but no scary incidents.

Cheers.
Oh man that would not be good

I'm guilty of taking unprimed loads to the range. Just yesterday, I was doing some case capacity tests on two lots of 300WM mag brass. As I watched water pour from around the base of the first case, I thought I must have a crack of some sort. Turned out I failed to prime the brass with spent primers. Picture, if you will, Steve Martin in the movie Jerk when a sniper started killing oil cans.

Cheers.
Scary!!!

Cheers.
A friend of mine had his 270 blow up.
The stock broke into 3 pieces, blew the bottom metal off and jammed the bolt so bad I had to beat it out with a small 3lb sledgehammer.

I loaded up a bunch of 9mm for a pistol class and had one round not fire because the primer was seated upside down. My Dillon will flip a primer every once in a blue moon and I just didn't catch that one. No harm, no foul. However, I have pulled a few batched down before because I wasn't 100% sure that all the rounds had powder as I let the powder hopper get lower than I was comfortable with. Never found one that didn't have powder in it, though. :rolleyes:

Like MagnumManiac, I always load bottleneck cartridges in batches...Prime, put in a loading block, drop/weigh powder, double-check weight on a second scale, dump into case. Before moving on to bullet seating, I always perform a visual check with a flashlight to make sure none of the powder charges look different. I find it's easier to get into a rhythm doing that than it is to prime/charge/seat an individual cartridge in sequence.

Recent Posts