308 anyone?

This is one actually Cerakoted multicam by shortbus at CGC. He did a good job, but the dip is only like 100 bucks which is way cheaper than custom paint job.
1971D3D3-A420-4E0F-8973-AB31278718DD.jpeg
1D3F75EB-A48B-45FE-961C-F5BB8CA4AB64.jpeg

Since it's been dug from the grave like a few other threads recently, I suppose I'll keep it breathing a bit longer.

I've still got a lot more bullets I'd like to try in my 308, but so far, the boattail designs have been the most accurate, not by much though. The only flat base bullets I've tried thus far were Speer HotCor and Remington CoreLokt 165's in my handloads. The CoreLokts did surprisingly well considering their relatively inconsistent weights. I've gotten sub-MOA 3-shot groups with all of them, but the Ballistic Silvertips have shot the best by a couple tenths of an inch. I'm thinking that it probably has more to do with the consistency of these bullets in comparison. For the extra money they cost, I suppose they should be more accurate.

The first post really was an interesting read. My current hunting load would be great for a longer shot on a deer, being a 168 gr Ballistic Silvertip at about 2650 fps. But, where I hunted last year, it's pretty thick woods with some oak groves and tall grass. Shots would be 50-75yds max, which is a bit close for my Ballistic Tips. A 30-30 would be perfect. Have any of you guys experimented with trying to get the 308 to perform like the good old 30-30? Lower velocities with 30-30 designed bullets. Good enough to put a deer down quick but not shred them up or ruin an entire shoulder.

Well, as far as 308w goes, I have a 6.8 pound "ar-10" ...yes, that is 6.8 pounds with 3-9 leupold optics, just over 7 pounds with 5 rounds of ammo for hunting.
I take it when I'm in tighter "woods" conditions where I want a lightweight rifle with quick follow up shots.
I handload the 178eldx over varget for a speed of 2475fps from the 16" barrel
It shoots consistantly in the 1/2 to 3/4 moa
If you use 1000ft pounds as your minimum I could still use it out to 800 yards (I hunt at 7000-10000msl)
Mpbr is 270 yards so it's intended range is 300 and under, but I would not hesitate to use it much further if I felt comfortable with the shot.

I also bring my 8" suppressor in my pack and use it over open fields ( I dont hike the woods with it on though as it feels too long for me in tight areas)

I was contemplating getting a 300wsm upper for it but the barrel length on those are 22-24" and that makes for a long semi auto rifle. Besides a light weight 308 gas gun is already hard enough to keep the muzzle flip tamed, I cant emagine how a light 300wsm gas gun would be to handle.

the 308 is as good as the person shooting it and many times even better,it just works. its still very popular even though its not in the limelite,, no matter all cartridges are wonderful just match them to the job at hand. MR Jim Carmichael was asked once whats your Favorite Cartridge n Caliber , Jim smiled and said the One that's shooting the best in my hands! meaning their all Great Yes We are very Fortunate ,enjoy your 308s!!!

I run a 20" with a gemtech tracker. With 178s in lapua brass with a stout load of varget I can get close to 2700. My lower node below that which I prefer to run is around 2640. I have shot 308 out past 1k on numerous occasions. It can definelty do it but just requires a little more ability on the shooter. 308 is just fun to shoot, easy to load, and barrels last forever. I take mine every range trip as a play toy on the steel range while my high speed stuff is cooling.

morning, seems to me every time someone wildcats an
existing caliber, ends up the big rage of the shooters, hunters
world. person known to me has a original 7mmSTW Rem.
style. SS sendero. just bought a 6.5 creedmoor. swears
the rifle and caliber is god sent. I've had a 6.5 rem. mag.
for years. outstanding cartridge and caliber. the 30cal.
308 has been around from the early 1900's. I have one
custom made. I totally swear by this rig. this caliber
has exterminated in war persons, in hunting probably
every species known to b hunted by man. the cartridge
his been fed every kind and make of ammo and still
out performs most existing cartridges.I AM PERJURIST
toward this cartridge. justme gbot tum

I've hunted deer and coyotes with an armalite ar-10T for years. The 308 isn't as popular as it once was the I will wager no creedmore will ever bag as many deer or find the military following the 308 has and will continue to have

i shoot a savage axis 308 to 1000, many 30wm's and 7rm's come to the farm and most dont out shoot the 308. Probably more my experience than my rifle out shooting the others but caliber doesnt always mean long range

AD0C7838-EA78-4E75-A707-F05EF53FE359.jpeg
Shot this deer last year with my 308 using 168 amaxs. The 168 is potent on deer out of the 308!
Here's the same rifle dropped in a chassis so I could go to a prs comp. the maple is still nicer imo, but not nearly as cool as Camo lol

40891DDC-CDB2-45CC-846C-E75D6932CBC7.jpeg

I have two 308s. I also have a 30-06, among many others that "outperform" them.
I enjoy guns, it doesn't matter what cartridge it's is as long as it's accurate. I also have a 300plus feet per second PSE compound bow, but enjoy my 1960s Ben Pearson and York recurve bows just as much or maybe a little more. When you limit yourself to one gun, then you're stuck with what you have. But, having many guns, if the 308 is limited in the mission, I grab another gun that's not.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.