Dual dovetail installation question

pinetree100

I recently installed a set of dual dovetail mounts on a Rem 700 270 WSM. The front ring twisted in with fairly firm resistance. The rear ring twisted in with surprisingly little resistance. When I took the clamp off (more on that later) I could twist the ring by hand. How loose can these be and still be considered correct? The ring doesn't wiggle, but it can't have near the spring tension the front ring is under.

I used a Bessey K-body clamp to twist the rings in. I thought it worked pretty well. Anyone tried the clamp and what should I do about the rings? Burris DD's and sig rings.

I havent seen one that you can twist by hand but I have seen some loose ones. I typically dont worry about them because the only way the ring could twist once the scope is put in would be to have the scope itself bend. Just make sure the ring doesnt move left and right once it is aligned with the bore and I would think you probably wont have prob's. I like to spray out all of the screw holes with gun cleaner or brake cleaner to make sure and oil or cosmoline is not in the threads. This would prevent the metal from seizing on itself properly and the screws could come loose.

steve

Thats a common problem with the Leupold mounts , or so I have found. The thing is that they are cast then machined , and over time tools get dull and cast don't always come out that great they are mass produced and sooner or later your gonna run accross a bad one.
I use the Burris rings in the Leupold bases I always use a little red lock-tite on the male end and after I get it all lined up strait I let the loc-tite cure over night the next day I pull the base off leaving the ring in it then I
heli-arch weld a couple samll passes on the inside on the base that way it will never get loose. Yea its a little extream but it works great. Another way is you could fill the small voids between the male end and the base with some JB Weld after it cures sand it out so it matches the conture on the inside of the ring then bed the base to the gun.
I've even put together a couple guns that guys wanted a realy strong ring and mount but diden't like the look of the big Mil type setup so I just welded the inside and the outside of the base and ring together and that made for a rock solid setup.
But in your case give the JB weld a try.

Definately not right! I would send it back!! I have mounted many DD's and have never had any issues..., I would not rely on that fit!!

I just tighten them up whenever I notice a loose one. I mount the rings over a cloose fitting socket in my vise. Then take a hammer and tap on outer ends of the bottom of the inverted pyramid if you will. This bends the ends up slightly and really tightens up the fit. Be careful or you will get them so tight you will need a cheater bar to twist them in.

I really like to use Burris Signatures with Leupoold bases. The Burris bases are just too clunky looking for me. This way I still have a bit of horizontal adjustment if needed. I wish Leupold could make the Signature style rings.

I usually use a 14" Cresent wrench to turn them in but a cloose fitting socket and a long extension makes a good tool for turning them in if they are really tight.

I agree with ZEB.
Send them back:

After years of failed rear windage bases I have switched to
nothing but Duel Dovetail rings & bases.

They should be very tight and require a little antiseize or
grease to roll them in.(NOTE: dont use the scope for this)

I have a 30mm & 1" aluminum dowel for this, it also gives
me perfect alignment before installing the scope.

New scopes have plenty of windage adjustment so windage
adjustable bases are not nessary and just another potential
problem.

J E CUSTOM

Well, Burris came through but Midway didn't.

I emailed Midway with the info in my original post and they offered a typical write this down, provide this or that, put the whole assembly in the mail, .......and they also provided the number to Burris customer service.

Well after looking at the unappealing Midway option, I dialed the toll free number and mere minutes later was talking to a live customer service rep. and bingo they put a new ring in the mail.

Now why couldn't Midway have offered to do the same thing for me? They have all of my info from my order, they made the profit from the sale, why not have one of their customer service reps call Burris and ask them to send the ring to me? Lazy. I'm glad Burris stepped up, I hope the new ring deserves my current appreciation of their service.

Burris sent me a new ring to try that was a little better than the original but I could still twist it in by hand.

I exchanged the Burris bases for Leupold and am happy I did. The fit and finish of the Leupold is much better than the Burris. I still like the Burris signature rings.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.