Reconsidering Burris Signature Dual Dovetail Rings

fourinone

I'm wanting to hear from those of you who have had a problem with these of any kind in the "Dual Dovetail" I've read about them bending on other threads and I know that if twisted in & out more than once they loose a lot of their original holding abilities. I know they are not as strong as the Picatinny / Weaver system. I'm wanting to get my scope lower on a Sako 75 and the Optilocks, Talley's, and all other forms of Weaver / Picatinny don't bring it down like the Burris Dual Dovetail system. I'm mounting a 30mm tube with 44mm Objective that has a total O.D.of 2.090". If I'm not hunting dangerous game, on a high dollar hunting trip, Marine Sniper, would not the Dual Dovetail be ok? Is there maybe ways to make it better? I thought of an idea that may help...use a very high grade of grease on parts before twisting the ring in the base, clean out all grease with carb. cleaner or brake cleaner, after drying fill in the under side with a good grade of Epoxy / JB Weld. Any engineers out there maybe could tell me if getting the parts; both ring & base or just ring or just base very cold prior to twisting them together would help prevent the metal from shaving off? I was also thinking just how bad is it for the scope mounts to bend if the scope got hit in such a way to bend the mounts...wouldn't this kind of act as a "sheer pin" and maybe keep the scope from absorbing the full impact? Anyway I've not bought these yet but thinking about the Burris Signature so I can use the offset inserts to bring the scope to zero while the scope is still optically centered. I've seen the Conetrols mounts and they seem nice but very expensive for the 30mm system. I could not tell by looking at their website but with all of the adjustments in them they should have the floating centers or do they?? The price would not seem to high for me if they also have the floating centers like Burris or Optilocks. I've worked with the RWS air rifle mount that has those ring / windage adjustments along with elevation..a lot of care has to be used to keep from putting stress on your scope. Anyway thanks for any who care to share their thoughts on this subject..I know that I can be wrong about my own conclusions.

...have you looked at the new Leupold rings for Sako 75...they come in different heights & finishes...they sure are simple to use and should give you the scope clearance you're looking for...

I am using Warne Sako rings and they are excellent. No base, they fit direct to the Sako 75 dovetail on top of the receiever. Get them from Brownells.

Thanks: I'll take a hard look at the Warne, The Leupold's set about .045 higher than the Warne for their High Sako and their medium set about .025-.030 too low. So far the lowest combo I can find is the Burris Dual Dovetail base & the Leupold low 30mm DD Rings. After looking at all else it may not be so good to get the scope as low as possible. Looks like it would make it hard to hand feed ammo into the chamber. And not sure but with this stock design, my line of sight may be less than ideal. The Warne system will about split the difference I now have and may be worth trying. I'm a little concern with not being able to lap in the Warne rings. Has anyone reading this had any problems with this style ring digging into the scope?? Thanks again

Fourinone ...regarding rings "digging into scope"... not sure if anyone else would agree, but for the last few scopes I've mounted, I put masking tape in the top and bottom ring halves... this provides excellent grip & prevents the scope from moving once you've leveled everything; later, when you remove the screws, you'll notice how tightly the scope is held with the tape...once scope is removed, just use a little lighter fluid on a flannel patch to wipe the tape residue from the tube and it looks like new... I have never found a ring mark when using this process; I prefer this over lapping, unless there is significant outage... even then, minimal lapping + masking tape for me... best protection I know of for the scope tube... hope this helps...

Fourinone,
The Burris Signature Dual Dove tail rings for a Sako are an awesome set up ,I have this set up on two of my Sako's and have found it to be very strong.just remember to only twist the ring's into the bases one time and you will have NO problems. there are detractors of this set up but more than likely they have not tried it.
My brother borrowed my Sako 7mmRem Mag for his Desert Bighorn Sheep hunt last fall there is probably not a hunt you can go on that is more of a test of ruggedness than that and they worked flawlessly. I'm sure that they are not quite as strong as a Mil.spec picatinny system but if you throw your gun off a 20 foot cliff to bend your rings your scope will get bent as well. just try it you wont be sorry.
B

I was wondering how far apart the Burris D.D. rings are from each other "outside to outside" on a Sako III action and also how far apart are the Warnes "outside to outside" on the Sako III action? Also I'm wondering how thick is that Burris D.D. base from top to the flat top of the grooved receiver? If anyone is able to provide this information or some of this information it would help, or if anyone has any of the Burris D.D. base for the Sako laying around maybe they could measure the thickness with a dial caliper. Thanks so much for the information so far.

fourinone,
I have mine on a L579 and a AV the L579 is pretty much the same as the AIII only an older model, the ring's are 4.050 from center to center and with medium rings are 1.020 from the top of the reciever dovetail to the center of the rings.
B

Thanks Brian, I'll need one more number in order for me to compare how this may fit on my gun....I need to know your ring dia. 1" or 30mm or etc.? My Optilocks ring spacing center to center is 4.500". So with your set-up it looks like one may have more range to slide scope forward or back depending on the scope. Thanks again!

After looking at this setup, I think I like it better than anyting else for a Sako. What ring height, in the signature series, would a guy need for a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50mm? I may just have to order some and try them out.

Hi Bill; Well not having their base in my hands it's hard to tell for sure. The best I can figure I'll still have a .140" clearance under my scope at the objective using Burris D.D. bases and Burris Sig. med. height D.D. rings. The O.D. of my 44mm scope is 2.090. So based on my figures one should be able to mount a scope with O.D. of aprox. 2.370" or smaller. I've been told by more than one source that you can mount a scope as close to the barrel to slide paper under it without drag...?? So if your O.D. is bigger than 2.364" it may not work, I guess you can always gain another .010" by using the Burris offset ring inserts. Burris don't make the D.D. Sig. Rings in a low at least not for a 30mm tube, so I would end up where the Warne mounts would take me. Still I'm undecided, it's looking like a repeat of some of my past dealings where I end up trying all and then see which one works best but I'm hoping not to do this because it's a waste of money.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts