Burris Signature Rings

1100 Remington Man

Thinking about trying them Signature Rings on a Model 70 300 H & H Mag with Redfield 1 piece base that has been on Rifle for 30 years . I want to add MOA inserts & put on a Leupold CDS scope I have, will this work ok ?

Thinking about trying them Signature Rings on a Model 70 300 H & H Mag with Redfield 1 piece base that has been on Rifle for 30 years . I want to add MOA inserts & put on a Leupold CDS scope I have, will this work ok ?

In a word, yes! As long as the ring spacing is okay for the scope you should be fine.

There isn't really a standard for compatibility between different manufacturers of these rings and bases. A slight difference in dovetail dimensions can result in a loose ring or a badly galled dovetail. I speak from personal experience.

To be safe, I would replace the base with the proper Burris part - they're not very expensive. You can try installing the Burris ring in the Redfield base. If it turns easily, its probably too loose. If it resists starting to turn, don't force it because you could damage the ring, which isn't cheap.

Otherwise, I like Signature rings. However, I've found they can loosen up during the first 10 minutes after torquing the ring screws. I always come back after 10 min and re-torque.

I don't know about the base...But I have the Sig. Z Rings in 30mm on a 300 RUM with out any issues. My Lupy base has 15min and a have 10min adjusted into the rings leaving me with 25 in the system....The above advise to re-check the torque should be taken because the inserts have to settle in.

Thanks for The info. I'm looking for 20 MOA is it better just to put in a 20 MOA or go the + 10 on rear ring & - 10 on front ?Thanks. I trying not to change base because its a Pre war Model 70 & I had it drilled by gunsmith one hole in rear since it was not drilled & tapped & I have no Idea what base is on it, I would guess Model 70 post war long action.

Thanks for The info. I'm looking for 20 MOA is it better just to put in a 20 MOA or go the + 10 on rear ring & - 10 on front ?Thanks. I trying not to change base because its a Pre war Model 70 & I had it drilled by gunsmith one hole in rear since it was not drilled & tapped & I have no Idea what base is on it, I would guess Model 70 post war long action.

Be aware that the insert offset values are not in units of MOA, but in thousands of inches. If the separation between rings is 5", an 0.020" offset in one ring produces a 13.7 MOA elevation change. If you want 20 MOA, you may want to use a 0.020" offset in one ring, and an 0.010" in the other (20.6 MOA for 5" ring separation).

In my experience, It makes very little difference whether you go with one 0.020" offset, or +0.010 and -0.010 in different rings.

Hey Bruce
Thank's for the heads up on the spacing values in the Z's. I had no idea...Just an assume on my part....gun):D ....Man I Feel Dumb..

True.....But Pic. wont fit on Weaver. Just be sure to mount them fully forward in the slot on the rail...Be sure to check both rings in the slots before torqueing the rings to the scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.