NF Scope & Leupold Dual-Dovetail mounts?

DocGlenn

I've got a 5-22x50 NF on my rifle mounted w/ Leupold Dual Dovetail rings and bases (like every other rifle I have). I'm looking through the NF manual and it specifically says don't use dovetail mounts (I know I should have read it first). How big a deal is this? I really don't mind getting some new mounts if I need to, but will it make any real difference on a hunting rifle? If I do need new rings and bases, could you recommend some good, light-weight ones? Thanks.

NF says they "may not" honor the warrenty if you dont follow their recommendations when choosing a mounting system. How big of a deal is it, i dont know, alot of the people we sell them too use whatever system they want to mount them.

If you want to remount it they way they recommend there are ways to cut the wieght some. Use NF or Leup tactical aluminum rings, they save a bunch of weight over the steel ones

MK4 med aluminum rings weigh .30 lb
NF med aluminum rings weigh .20 lb

As for the base I dont carry any aluminum tactical bases but i know some are made. We carry the Leup, NF, and Warne 20MOA cant bases. I have heard some people say it is good to use a steel base to help strengthen the reciever, i dont know if it is true but that is a better question for a gunsmith

have a good un
steve

Would you recommend a one or two piece base? One piece seems like it would be better, but what do I know, I can't follow directions.

I'd say go w/the one piece rail and the Mark 4 or similar style rings. You won't regret it. That is the only way to mount a scope in my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts