Dry Firing a 22 Rimfire??

LaHunter

Just like the title says. I have read somewhere several years ago that dry firing a 22 rimfire can damage the firing pin. What is the truth, is dry firing a 22 rimfire harmful to the rifle or not? Specifically interested in the Ruger 77/22 22 mag

Thanks for the replies

Not 100% sure about the ruger, but dry firing a rim fire can peen the rim of the chamber, preventing feeding/extraction. You can however use a fired case to dry fire with.

Yes, it is un-wise to dry fire a 22. With most designs the firing pin will hit the chamber mouth when fired with no round in the chamber. The occasional dry fire is probably not an issue but done excessively it is very possible to not only peen the firing pin, but also create a dent in the chamber mouth, producing misfires. Get some dummy dry fire csrtridges.

Yes, it is un-wise to dry fire a 22. With most designs the firing pin will hit the chamber mouth when fired with no round in the chamber. The occasional dry fire is probably not an issue but done excessively it is very possible to not only peen the firing pin, but also create a dent in the chamber mouth, producing misfires. Get some dummy dry fire csrtridges.

Same. I've seen the damage.

Use spent cases or get 22 snap caps. You will see the power of the firing pin as it destroys the snap cap.

If you use spent cases remove and reinstall so as to change the impact point on the rim. If you don't it won't take long before the firing pin eats through the brass.

This is from Ruger's FAQ

Attachments

• ruger.png
    ruger.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 266
This is from Ruger's FAQ

Yes. That is what is on the FAQ. I would believe from that that if you damage your Ruger dry firing Ruger will warrantee it.

It is not true for all Rimfire. AFAIK, most should not be dry fired without a snapcap or spent case.

I have seen 10/22s with after market barrels peen over the barrel so bad that it takes work to get them to chamber rounds again.

Make sure your barrel is clearanced for dry firing. If it takes damage, call Ruger.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.