Desire input on a Savage Mark II 22 rimfire.

Alfred Crouch

Just bought one. 1) What scope rings do you use for a 1" scope. The mounts came on it and they are wider than the regular 22 bases. 2) What ammo have those of you with these rifle found to shoot best in your guns...... Looking for some ammo start with. 3) Any bits of advice you can share on peculiarities you have found with this particular rifle would be appreciated. The rifle is a Mark II BTSS. It looks and feels great except for the slick surface on the laminate stock. I like the 7.5 lb weight. It is heavy enough to be stable. Would like to have some good checkering on it.

Thanks.

Alfred,

I have a MKII BTV .

As far as bulk ammo mine likes Winchester Dyna-points $20/500 rounds .
For more consistant ammo, ie smaller groups , try Wolf Match , Eley target rifle and RWS $4.00 to $5.00 / 50 rounds .

The scope rings will depend on the objective size. I tried medium burris signature zee rings with a 42mm objective and they were too short. I had another set in the safe ( sorry not sure of the manufacture , probabaly weavers that worked )

Mike

Congrats on a great gun, it really is competetive with Anschutz. My dad's Savage MKII BTV will actually out-shoot my buddy's Anschutz.

For rings, just go with a set of standard weaver-style rings. I have Weavers on my 17HMR and my dad went with Redfields. The only problem you will run into is that you will need to go up at least one size in ring height (i.e. a 40mm scope takes a medium height ring, but you will probably need high rings) This is because the barrel has no taper. It is a straight contour. My dad has a 42mm scope and was required to put x-high rings on it. Just make sure you take the bases off and clean them and loc-tite them to the reciever before you mount the scope. Someone I know, couldn't get their groups to close as the POI kept shifting, the scope mounts were loose. At least it was easy to fix.

As for ammo, the MKII shoots CCI stingers @ 1" @ 50yds. And CCI standard velocity @ .5" @ 50yds. With Remington Eley tho you will get the occasional 1-hole group, and most will make about .25" @ 50 yds. Another option would be Wolf ammo, it has very good reports. Or RWS as it is serious match ammo, you're actually supposed to mic your bore before you buy RWS ammo as there are different sizes.

Good luck. gun)

I'm looking into buying one of these but I'm a little stumped on what scope base(s) to use. I've found weaver style bases on Midway but they are not tapered. I found Ken Farrell 20 MOA bases but the selection is for long and short actions so I'm not sure if the bolt pattern is the same or if they will even work. The Nightforce 20 MOA base is for a Savage Accutrigger. ??? Any thoughts on where to find a 20 moa weaver style base for the Savage MK-II BTV?

You're honestly probably not going to find a factory 20 moa base for that rifle. Your best bet is to buy a weaver style and then make it 20 moa by putting the scope in burris zee rings with the offset inserts.

egw make a 20 moa base, and rimfire technologies make a 25 moa base, both around $40.00, and pretty essential when going past 150 yards.

i have botha heavy and regular barreled rifles, both like wolf extra match, and aguila match rifle ammo at any range, remington subsonics are also nice to about 50 yards then start flying all over.

Thanks for the info. I ordered a 25 MOA base from Rimfire Technologies. I picked up my rifle today so now I have to wait on the base. I really like the rifle. For the money it looks pretty well made. I've got quite a bit of Federal Gold Medal ammo. My 10-22 shoots it pretty well.

the federal gold is one of the top 6 ammos that shoot well through my mkii, you should have good luck with it. the only thing that didn't make it top 4 was price.

I finally got to site my Mark II in yesterday.

It'll do :)

p332034163-3.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts