Savage Mark II Versus Ruger 10/22

captainjoe

Would like to get me a .22LR for target shooting, particularly for long ranges. The Ruger 10/22 seems to be the Swiss Army knife of .22 rifles because there is so much after market stuff. Yet, from some of the stuff I have read, the Savage Mark II is so good out of the box that even though there are less things on the market for it, you don't really need to upgrade or accurize it much.

So, what are your views on here? Which make and model would you buy, and why? I am leaning towards the Savage because for target shooting I think the bolt action is preferable.

I'd buy a CZ over either. Costs about the same as the Savage, but will give even better groups. I've shot all three of them a fair amount, the Rugers are fun to play with, but can't hold a candle to the Savage or CZ without spending a bunch of extra $. The Savage is a great out-of-the box shooter, and I do like my Dads Mark II, but you get alot more gun with a CZ452 than a Savage for almost the same $ (my452 Military Trainer was around $270 two years ago). Just my 2cents.

Last edited:
I don't have a Savage MK II to compare with, but I have a factory original Ruger with the heavy hammer forged barrel and laminate stock. I bought it used (98% condition) for $325 with 3 factory 10 rd mags. It shoots with 2 pretty good bolt guns (Kimber 82G, and Wby/Anschutz MK XXII) and is more fun, but is a bit more of a pain to clean. I'm considering drilling the hole in the back of the receiver for a cleaning rod to pass through, so I don't have to use a Boresnake or clean from the muzzle.

All that said, the Savage may be more of a sure thing, but this particular 10-22 shoots as good as I can.

Check out Rimfire Central and see what turns up. I imagine there is a LOT of discussion on this subject. Both rifles are very popular.

Good problem to have!

Tom

I wanted something to play around with in rimfire and had been planning on buying a CZ or maybe even buying a custom action and barrel for a custom build.

Well on a whim I recently bought a Savage MkII TR with desert tan stock, heavy fluted blued barrel from local national box store for ~$350.00.

I put a 4-12X40 Nikon prostaff on it today.

This thing shoots awesome. After zeroing it I incrementally increased in 25 yard amounts until I shot my first 5 shot group at 100 yards. I was using SK Match ammo. I shot a .570 grouping. I am not sure if that is phenomenal for a 22 but I was extremely pleased.

It was late and my 6.5-06 was ready at the Gunsmiths so I had to pack it in for the day but I am headed back out tomorrow.

Count me a Savage Mark II TR fan!

For accuracy I would go with the Savage. I bought one for my daughter to shoot in 4-H competitions a few months back. A buddy of mine has two Anschutz rifles his boys shoot in the same club. My daughter's Savage will shoot just as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Savage is as a good a rifle as the Anschutz, but they may get real close to shooting as well in many cases.

I had to take a couple of turns out of the trigger spring to get it down to 2 lbs, but that is easy to do, and the trigger is nice a crisp with no creep. I can now get it to break at just over 1 lbs if I want to adjust it that low. Depending on which competition she is going to the pull weights are either 1.5 lbs min, or 2 lbs min.

Others have mentioned CZ. I just bought a heavy barrel varmint model CZ with a thumbhole stock. I have not shot it much yet, but it looks like it is going to be a fine rifle. All in all it appears to be a little better made than the Savage for around the same money, but I have not shot it enough to say if it will shoot any better. The only complaint on the CZ is the trigger. The spring was easy enough to take a couple of turns out of, but there was way too much sear engagement with no adjustment. I had to do a full trigger job on it. I can now adjust it down to under 1 lbs with a good clean break. If you don't know how to do a trigger job you might consider that when buying one, as you may have to have a smith work the trigger for you.

On the 10-22......... Like others have said, you can spend a lot of money on accurizing and still not have a rifle that will shoot as good as the Savage out of the box. IMHO.

I have two Savages, TR and the Mark Ii stainless thumbhole. My son in law bought a TR and my two buddies have Mark Ii's one blue, one stainless. All five shoot 1/4" at 50 yards....great rifle for the money. Shoot it right out of the box. Both of mine shoot best with Remington Eley Club Extra. The other guys shoot Wolf Match and Federal Match.

Aldon, my 10-22 is shooting at 50 yds what what your Savage is shooting at 100 yds. I don't know about anybody else, but .57" sounds phenomenal to me. I'd be happy too.

Greyfox, same results comparing at 50 yds. my 10-22 is shooting 1/2" groups, not 1/4". I'm not disappointed, but I don't expect it will ever shoot 1/4"

I don't know what the custom 10-22's are capable of, but dollar for dollar it sounds like the Savage is a better deal for accuracy.

Captainjoe, Looks like you got your answer, particularly since you said you wanted to shoot long range. 100 yds for a .22 L/R is long range to me.

Good thread, clear results. Tom

Savage MKII, DIP bottom metal, trigger guard, and 25 MOA base. The bottom metal is only if you want to try to tune the stock screws, and trigger guard only if you want metal under your finger. A little accutrigger tuning, and you should be good to go.

I would go for the CZ over the Savage. The Savage's one problem is the extractor wears out in short order. Our club has three of them for youth shoots and they stopped extracting after a couple thousand rounds. Other than that they are great. If you don't mind rebuilding the bolt once in awhile the Savage would be ok.

Just wanted to add to my earlier post otherwise It may look like I was BS'ing everyone or at very least stretching the truth with regard to Savage Mark II TR

It may have been ideal conditions, or the absolute pristine/virgin barrel or perhaps I had a better than usual more accurate lot of ammo on the day I shot the phenominal groups of less than an inch at 100 yards.

More recently the best I can sustain from group to group of 5 shot strings is 1.25 inches with occasional 1.5 inch groupings.

I have bedded the rifle, upgraded to higher power Nikon optics, and the next step is some Dip bottom etal so I can get some consistent torque settings on action screws.

From my reading 1.25 consistently is pretty decent so I am still happy with the savage. Although I have seen what it is capable of and I feel like I am chasing a will-o-wisp:)

My goal is to consistently shoot 1 Inch or less as 100, then start shooting for groups at 200.

Just wanted to add to my earlier post otherwise It may look like I was BS'ing everyone or at very least stretching the truth with regard to Savage Mark II TR

It may have been ideal conditions, or the absolute pristine/virgin barrel or perhaps I had a better than usual more accurate lot of ammo on the day I shot the phenominal groups of less than an inch at 100 yards.

More recently the best I can sustain from group to group of 5 shot strings is 1.25 inches with occasional 1.5 inch groupings.

I have bedded the rifle, upgraded to higher power Nikon optics, and the next step is some Dip bottom etal so I can get some consistent torque settings on action screws.

From my reading 1.25 consistently is pretty decent so I am still happy with the savage. Although I have seen what it is capable of and I feel like I am chasing a will-o-wisp:)

My goal is to consistently shoot 1 Inch or less as 100, then start shooting for groups at 200.

I have no problem believing your accuracy claims with the Savage. I have the Stainless thumb hole MK II and get consistant .5moa five shot groups at 100 yards. I had tested several brands of ammo until I found that Remington/Eley Club Extra produced this accuracy. I was then able to buy 1000 rounds of the same lot for competition. My son in law has gotten the same kind of results with his TR using Federal Ultra Match. My Club Extras do not shoot under 1.5" in his rifle. I have found that these rifles are very ammo sensitive. I have been shooting my rifle out at 200 yards but had to change ammo. The Club Extra wouldn't group at the longer ranges. My best so far is Remington High Velocity HP Gold Tips. On a totally windless day, I can get 2-3 inch groups out at 200. They shoot an inch at 100.

Greyfox,

Do you find the Savage - 22lr ammo accuracy relationship to be sensitive to Temperatures?

I initially bought several brands and typs of ammo and my gun liked the SK Match. During summer heat is when I was getting great accuracy.

When the weather cooled off, ie winter, the accuracy took a turn for the worse.

That is when I decided to bed the rifle.

Gained a little/fraction of accuracy back but it is not what I was getting this summer.

Guess I will have to start the process over and plan on doing the same for extended distances as your post indicated.

Greyfox,

Do you find the Savage - 22lr ammo accuracy relationship to be sensitive to Temperatures?

I initially bought several brands and typs of ammo and my gun liked the SK Match. During summer heat is when I was getting great accuracy.

When the weather cooled off, ie winter, the accuracy took a turn for the worse.

That is when I decided to bed the rifle.

Gained a little/fraction of accuracy back but it is not what I was getting this summer.

Guess I will have to start the process over and plan on doing the same for extended distances as your post indicated.

Yes, I have seen accuracy and poi shifts with 25+ degree drops in temperature. Usually under an inch at 100 yards. Also, big differences between a clean barrel and dirty one. My best accuracy is obtained with a well fouled barrel . It takes me a half a box of ammo to get the rifle shooting to potential if I start with a clean barrel. I have not been cleaning at all for the last several hundred rounds and have maintianed my accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.