rimfire .22 misfireing

gcop 270cal

i have a question of which i hope some light could be shed on.

My question relates to my 1948 BSA Sportsmans Five .22 cal rimfire rifle. i have shot countless amounts of rounds through it in the past couple years, most acurate gun ive shot. a couple months back it started misfireing 1 in every 10-15 rounds, i sourced another firing pin for it which had been tested and shown working 100% and thus solved my problem. After possibly anther 300 rounds through it over the course of several months it now misfires almost every time. i am using remmington subsonic rounds and i have ruled out the possibility of the ammo being faulty as i have just tested the same batch in a newer rifle and 100% working.

i would apreciate any thoughts as to the possibe cause of this dilema. thanks in advance, grant.

Any springs replaced here? Be one of he first things I'd want to look at when dealing with a rifle that's seen this much use.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

thanks for your reply.
since posting my question i have individualy weighed a batch of these remmington subsonics with lee reloading scales and found that there is in most cases a 30% deviation in the amount of power in the shells with the conclusion that the light loads werent igniteing.

i had changed the firing pin as i said, possibly you could be on to somthing with the springs as they havnt been replaced to my knowledge.

The rifle was made in 1948 so i'd say it has seen a few shoots :)

il try and source a new spring or entire bolt and see how i go.

cheers,
grant

i stopped buying remy ammo especially the HMR. I use Winny X's now and although a little dirty they seem to cycle correctly and NOT misfire . I hope you bget it sorted as it can be very frustrating, Gary

An update on the misifireing .22 subsonics for those who may be interested.

I have been unable to source a new spring for this rifle. but i have sourced some different ammo. i purchased a couple bulk packs of CCI .22 subsonics and after limited testing there is a enormous difference in quality of bullets.

CCI .22 subsonics outperform remmington subsonics in every apsect. they are more accurate, the effective range is now up to 150 meters compared to 100 or so for the remmington, and the CCI's havnt failed to fire.

Conclusion, throw away all of your remminginton .22 subsonics and purchase CCI !

although if by any chance someone has a spring for a 1948 bsa sportsmans five, i would be keen to hear from them.

grant.

My first guess would still be light strikes. I would change the spring as well just to be sure. Check with J&P gun springs. I am sure they will be ablr to help you.

I have to agree with the spring and light strikes. I real don't think it is that certain ammo in all guns. It sounds to me like it takes a little more to get the ammo you have chosen to go off. You did mention in cycled and shot fine in another gun in your original post. Your replacement ammo may not need as much force from the firing pin to go off and thus your success. I have to agree with the consensus on the spring thing. Try it and give your "unreliable" ammo another go. I bet you'd be surprised.

+2 on the spring replacement. Who knows how many rounds that rifle has seen in its day, or how many times it was stored in the cocked position which could shorten the life of the spring dramatically.

Some ammo manufacturers use primers that require a heavier strike than others. For instance, some millitary centerfire ammo requires 4.5 lbs instead of the civilian standard of 3.5 lbs to set off the primer...I'm thinking the same could be for rimfires depending on their specific setups.

I have a 10/22 that has some major upgrades (firing pin ground, pinned, and headspaced). I still have a dud with the Remington Subs every 20 or so rounds. I don't think the qualilty is there. The guys over on RFC have the same problems with them. I bought a load of them when ammo was so hard to get a couple years ago. I'll have to deal with them for now. I will be getting Eley or CCI Subs for hunting and use the Remingtons for fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.